Stranded... 2012 Escalade Hybrid, No Crank - NEED URGENT HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 10:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Stranded... 2012 Escalade Hybrid, No Crank - NEED URGENT HELP

That first few seconds when the key does "NOTHING" is eaxctly what I am getting. Thats where I got to thinking this is just some sort of inhibit.

...and right it shows no codes, but it does have other inhibits or disables from what I read i.e. like in the video. I am totally trying to figure out how to get it somewhere warm at a reasonable price. Looks like I will have to rent a pick up for a few days (Uhaul doesn't offer unlimited milage from what I can tell and then a flatbed trailer), ugh, if all this turns out to be a scanner reset, I'd sure rather spend $200 bucks on one that can send those resets. Hence, my unwillingness to give up on that line of thought... If I do tow it out of there probably need a bi-directional scanner and/or a competent hybrid mechanic (when I call the dealer and tell them about my rock and hard spot and look for advice, they say oooh those haven't been around for a while we don't have anyone that knows that car anymore). I have seen a bunch of messages on here where dealers wanted to start replacing inverters etc etc without really knowing what was going on... I am starting to feel like I already know more about it than the average mechanic, but maybe not.

From my learning about this, given the high voltage is VERY dangerous, i.e. everyone saying make sure to pull the disconnect or wear high voltage gloves (PPE) etc. it appears to me that the system is set up disable high voltage whenever something is awry. It took me some time to think through it, but imagine you are a fireman with the jaws of life and you have to cut into the passenger side cabin of one of these guys. I'm guessing you'd like to know that in the crunch of metal that the HV is not hot. That video shows some of those resets being available in the GM toolset, of course, not all of them are crash related. If you look at the Hybrid module data in my file its clear the crash sensors are "Not Crashed".

Of course it is still possible a relay or fuse has gone bad or even something worse, but I would think there would be other codes or something that would point to other things. In this case I see nothing, except what are in those live data takes...

-Tom

Old 01-17-2023, 11:16 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

yeah I was expecting a code. I've not had to dig into mine, but from what I read it seems they throw codes for every little thing. very surprising you don't have any.

there is a high amp like 100 in a fuse box under the hood by the 12v battery.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:32 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

that's all i see for generic no start. seems without that bidirectional scanner to do stuff or codes to work off. you're shooting in the dark.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

(2) '07 GMC Yukon XL Denali AIrbag Erroe Code - B0084-39 | Chevy Tahoe Forum | GMC Yukon Forum | Tahoe Z71 | Cadillac Escalade - Tahoe Yukon Forum

most likely the sensor is no good the ones behind the grille

just becareful as steps are needed before replacement (other wise risk popping the air bags)

Do you hear the AUX pump turn on when you turn it to the key "ON" position? ( not trying to start)

48 Auxiliary transmission fluid pump commanded 0.0 0 100 %
49 Auxiliary transmission fluid pump actual 0.0 0 100 %
50 Auxiliary transmission fluid pump fault status 1 Low voltage
51Auxiliary transmission fluid pump fault status 2 No fault

why is the AUX pump off?? it's not going to start with the aux pump off

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 01-17-2023 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

Oh that is AWESOME HELP!!! ...yes you confirmed that indeed I really can't do much without a scanner that can set some of these conditions. THANK YOU!

I also very much like the crisp troubleshooting instructions. On page 2 where its says "If the specified DTCs are set refer them first" and then points to a link. I expect those are all DTCs that could inhibit crank, can you click on the link and send those contents?

Then where it refers to DTC B009F in the SDGM, with a link to that it would be good to know what it describes that as, and if it is a normal DTC or again something only a special scanner will pick up.

Nice that it confirms I need the contactors "closed". For whatever reason that condition is NOT met.

Also interesting that it claims it needs 310 volts or I need to do jumper assist. When I disassembled my battery it each cell was at a minimum of 7.94V or better or 7.94*40, or 317.6V, its actually higher as many were at 8.1V. The nominal cell voltage of 7.2V only gets you 288V. Each cell block on the rebuilt battery current reports 15.7V now or 300V, which is below the 310V limit with brand new cells. Odd! If it is true that it won't even attempt to start unless the HV battery is north of 310V I do have to find a way to charge it. I really don't want to charge individual cells as they are so precisely matched from the factory right now, I know I will only create imbalances no matter how hard I try. Curious what S Keith thinks about all this...

Attached is the Doc I found on Jumper assist that claims a need of a minimum voltage of 240V to have it work at all. I have not been able to find where the "APM JUMP Assist" output control with the scan tool could be commanded in any literature. APM is "auxiliary power module"?

The second attachment is the info on commanding the contactors closed and/or testing for failed relays I think. Yours doesn't seem to indicate I should need to do that after clearing some of the other conditions. If I did I guess it would come later?

Again, thanks guys all super helpful, I did hear back last night that the Xtool engineers in China were looking at whether their scanner can offer all these commands. I hope to I hear back this eve and then can order one of these 1 day delivery from Amazon. The GM Tech 2 close will take over a week to get with expedited shipping DHL... Ugh! ...open to any other great scanner ideas. It is interesting with a good Bi-directional scanner that one can command pretty much anything on the CAN bus thats defiined. In all my history I think that alone will be a good tool to have, if I.can just get one with out tons of subscription costs and covers a wide variety of common vehicles. The xtool comes with 3 years of vehicle updates and then is $100/year for more (apparently only needed when you want to add a new model to the scanner).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jump Assist 3661054.pdf (105.4 KB, 132 views)
Old 01-17-2023, 01:34 PM
???
Active Enthusiast

310v does seem high, but I just checked and mine is setting at 328 before cranking. but I do run a different style pack. so don't know what it was before.

jump Assist I've seen as an option on a scanner I have at work. but it doesn't do all the different commands that I've found anyways. it has the basic ones like roll the windows up and down but it's not been updated in years as no one really uses it haha. it's an otc oncore that was 2k$ I wanna say. completely over priced and I wouldn't recommend it. but scanners without being a tech 2 will do it, or at least have the option.

the battery packs in yours are grouped in pairs as far as the individual cell voltage on a scanner shows up 20 cells. s.keith would probably know what you should be seeing from your pack. I'm not that deep into it. I believe resting voltage of a nmhi is pretty much the same without a load on it thou fully charged or mostly dead. its when you load them it either holds or crashes. I still feel like there should be codes.

next time I'm in front of the software I'll see what's at the links.

​​​

Old 01-17-2023, 04:56 PM
???
Active Enthusiast

oh and just because I always forget, that software is just prodamand. if you go to their website, there's single vehicle plans for diy guys for like 19$ month or something like that. I think that side is called eautorepair?

Old 01-18-2023, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast

Relative to the airbag sensor, It is the left sensor (drivers side) on the under engine beam crossing in front of the front wheels . I have put new sensors on and swapped them left to right and the problem always stays with the connector. I had the dealer look at it and he returned the car with the dangling clipped yellow and red wires in the harness at the midpoint running between the connector and where the harness turns up to go along the radiator. Really pissed me off, must have clipped them to check the connector. All he would say is the harness looked dirty at the radiator that must be where the issue is (I don't see the dirty spot he claimed). Didn't even offer to try to find the cause or fix it (I guess he used up his fee). I took the vehicle to another shop specifically asking if they had a decent harness electrical tech, "Oh yes". They told me that they wanted to replace that harness which goes all over the place on that vehicle for $2K. After spending $500+ bucks in diagnostic fees only to get really crappy half baked responses I gave up. I plan to remove the seats and clean the carpets when I am done with battery stuff. I suspect it is a broken wire at the airbag module since it came on when the kids where in the back seat in 117 degree F day in Palm springs... The module connector seems seated etc. from what I can tell sticking my hands under the seat. Outside of seeing a pesky light on the dash, (which I hate) it has really never affected anything at all...

I am guessing the Aux transmission pump is also driven by the high voltage? Hmmm... Good question. Well I never got any response from Xtool, but after looking at the Foxwell and the Launch their websites don't indicate that they support the commands. They might, but there documentation is pretty crappy. The xtool does show them, but only for the 2011 or 2013 not the 2012. I bought the thing for $450, since Amazon says I can return it within 30 days. ....so by Saturday I should have the tool to start plinking at this thing IF and thats a big IF it works. It looks like I likely will have to pick a different year hybrid to get the right data send commands until they fix their database, but I guess I can live with that IF it works. ...odd that these tools are so hard to figure out, the support is way less than stellar!

There has to be a hierarchy of conditions that one sets up from the beginning of the sequence to go from ignition on to juice to the drive motor 1 to turn the engine. I wonder if I can individually command that sequence with the scanner and see what I can't get past? I guess thats generally coming out of the info you guys are providing, maybe that will start to gel for me as I look closer.

Relative to high voltage battery voltage, I remember taking data on the old battery a few months ago with Torque Pro and the GM PIDS that someone provided a config file for and seeing it go pretty low when all the cells diverged wildly. Never had a problem starting it in the low condition, and I know I must have stopped and restarted there several times. I'll have to find that data. I wonder what those minimum battery voltages were, but I thought they were below 14v per block. The data did corroborate S. Keith's assertions that when the GM battery goes it really is toast. Almost all the cells exclusive of the very end ones were falling off a cliff all ***** nilly, as the cells discharged they went all over the place. Then when they would charge they would all come back nicely to 8.1 volts ish and then spread all over again as soon as the discharge cycle started. I bought a replacement 40 pack on ebay from someone who claimed to know what they were doing, but when I characterized the cells some had less then 40% capacity. The dynamic cell impedances all seemed so close I didn't find that the impedance tester I bought was perceptive at all. The issue with rebuilding a battery with all that is the pack is only as good as the weakest cell. Thats when I made the decision to buy new cells from some source and see how they did, there were just too many variables with reconditioned cells to ever know how good the rebuilt battery really could be or is. If one had the mega battery tester it could be done reasonably but after playing with it for a couple weeks I thought I would turn in to Rumpelstiltskin before I ever got all 40 cells characterized, balanced, matched, and charged to even condition. Now that the battery is done, if it could just get past minimum volts (I have never seen anyone here claim they had to charge the battery after rebuilding with new cells), and get this thing started I could learn more about these cells and share on that. ...but I want it home in a WARM garage again before I get into that.

-Tom

Old 01-18-2023, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

....and I officially take back what I said. I did get a response, and its even in solid english!!! ...there is hope. If this thing really works well it could be an AWESOME DIY tool, because the $5000 scanners are just way out of reach of anyone except a dealer. The former GM dealer in Bishop CA told me he had all the equipement but for what GM charges in subscriptions he just couldn't afford to keep it going given he only saw a few GM cars a month anymore. And then another mechanic the other day quoted $192/hr. and said I know nothing about a hybrid so he recommended not exploring unknown ground on his rate (I did appreciate the honesty). Sheesh thats approaching lawyer fees. ...inflation I guess. It just seems high, but I guess the tools are indeed pricey right?

Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2023 12:23 AM
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: D7 Special functions

EXT email: be mindful of links/attachments.

Hello Tom,

I just got a reply from engineers.

D7 does perform the functions you need, as shown below:

If you would like to try D7, here is the link of order:

Amazon Amazon

After you place an order, could you please let me know your Amazon Order ID so I can follow up on your case and provide you with fast tech support?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best,

Mary

XTOOL

JOIN US if you are interested in XTOOL:

Facebook Group (xtool official diagnostic tools)

Facebook Post

Reddit Sub:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xtoolscantools/

YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/@xtoolonline

Old 01-18-2023, 11:05 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

glad they got back to you, and that's excellent info if it will do all the tests needed. I've seen more than a few posts ask about a good scanner for these trucks and besides the knock off tech 2 there's not really a good answer since no one really wants to pull the trigger on 500-1000 without knowing if you'll get anything that works or not.

the amount of money dealers charge these days and the sad level of work done is just painful. my buddy was a service writer for Mazda for a while and the stories he'd tell, I don't know how he slept at night and add in having techs that he'd have to talk into working on cars all just sounded ridiculous. I mean yeah that shop software is expensive for a small mom and pop shop but the gm dealer has no excuse. just follow the instructions and it walks thru testing everything. they just don't want to do it and if the tests don't solve it they have a tech line to an engineer they can call. good techs are just really hard to find and don't get paid any better than shitty tech, if anything in the flat rate world it rewards doing easy jobs only

Quick Reply: Stranded... 2012 Escalade Hybrid, No Crank - NEED URGENT HELP

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands