Swapped Modules now no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 06:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Swapped Modules now no start

I see a question in my email about the service disconnect, but I don't see it here. Perhaps it was deleted after posting. The answer is "NO." An issue with the service plug renders the vehicle inoperative. It is a simple series break un the circuit. The only way it could cause a problem is if you didn't tighten the module nuts to 48 in-lb, but you said you checked all that.

Looks like it's block 14 on the others too. Either way, you should see a **** show in one of the pairs of modules 7 in from one end.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:04 PM
Enthusiast

Yea. I miss spoke in my post, and deleted it lol, "new" modules should he coming soon

Old 11-04-2019, 07:15 PM

A good shop would never let something like that out. Priority one should be troubleshooting to ensure others aren't suspect. Allow a few days of driving for the blocks to "equalize" and then run a discharge test.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

So, replaced both batteries in that cell that showed low voltage, and it still dips down like the old ones did..... what gives? I'm so frustrated with this thing right now, I honestly dont get this **** thing.

Old 11-17-2019, 02:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

I checked the GM schematic for the battery and Block #1 is the one closest to the fan. The negative terminal of module #1 goes to the negative high voltage contactor relay. Is that the end you counted from to find modules 13 and 14? Did you confirm the two modules you removed were the bad ones with a quick load test?

After checking your previously posted pictures again, there are two blocks with the exact same color lines. Might be possible we though it was Block 7 but it was actually block 14. Would need the raw data log to confirm which block that line belonged to.

Last edited by Jaime; 11-17-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, that is correct. Also I reran the logging from tourqe with less modules to get the correct cell and it was cell 14. Is it possible there is something wrong with the voltage terminal that senses cell voltage?

Old 11-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just so we're talking about the same thing:

Cell = Basic building block of a module. There are six 1.2V cells inside a module. The battery pack can't be broken down to this level.
Module = Six cells in series for total of 7.2V module voltage. There are 40 modules in the GM battery pack.
Block = 2 modules in series for total of 14.4V nominal. There are 20 blocks in the GM battery pack.

The battery computer measures Block voltages.
With this in mind, you confirmed it was Block 14 that was bad?

Old 11-17-2019, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

Semantics aside, yes we are both references the same thing. The block voltage for 14, was the one deviating, after pulling and replacing both modules in that block, it still shows the same thing as before. When initially finding the block via tourqe there was concern was it 7 or 14. I narrowed the blocks being monitored and it was determined 14 was bad. That's the block I replaced, issue still exists.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

To rule out having received one or two bad replacement modules, can you swap two voltage sense wires? (will probably need to use an extension for the shorter wire.) if the wire for Block #14 still senses bad modules after that, then maybe the problem is in the sense wire or the battery control module. Check the connector where the sense wires go in for any corrosion.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:44 AM

move modules to a different block and see if the problem moves

Quick Reply: Swapped Modules now no start

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands