Tahoe dilemma - Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: Tahoe dilemma - Will not start

I love forums like this....what would we do without the www?

****update*****
Defender I'm in Buford.

The report from the dealer - Hendericks @ Gwinnett Place Mall in GA are that it was the battery, so it's been replaced, but they're not finding any codes as to why it died. They won't release the truck because it is unsafe to drive....it simply stopped excellerating on the e-way and never came back to life.

Free My Tahoe

Old 02-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Defender
Default Re: Tahoe dilemma - Will not start

Originally Posted by heavychevy
I love forums like this....what would we do without the www?

****update*****
Defender I'm in Buford.

The report from the dealer - Hendericks @ Gwinnett Place Mall in GA are that it was the battery, so it's been replaced, but they're not finding any codes as to why it died. They won't release the truck because it is unsafe to drive....it simply stopped excellerating on the e-way and never came back to life.

Free My Tahoe
Ask your Dealer how many Hybrids they have serviced so far with your problem. If 0, then call Ben LaRue at Day's Chevy in Acworth and maybe have the 2 service managers talk also. Pride may get in the way but 2 heads are better than one. Day's Chevy is GM's dealer of last resort. (that's where it is supposed to get fixed if other dealers can't fix it.) I know this because GM called me and asked me to bring it there when I filed for Lemon Law.

Last edited by Defender; 02-28-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Enthusiast

I own a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid and just came home to the airport from a business trip. The truck was completely dead. After a jump start (following the manual’s instructions), I let the truck run for a bit in place and then as I put it in gear, I too got the Stabilitrack, Brakes, ABS, and check engine lights all illuminated. I was traveling at less than 5 mph, but went to brake to pull into a parking spot. No brakes, no vacuum assist, no nothing. I sat in the spot wondering what to do next. I let the truck run for a bit, turned it off, waited, then re-started it (it had enough juice to restart at this point) and all lights were now off, but the check engine light was on. Pushed OnStar and they indicated while it may be OK to drive as long as I had braking, that they were showing Stabilitrack, ABS, and a general fault code and to get to a dealer as soon as convenient. I took the truck in yesterday morning and after 8 hours on the phone with GM Engineering, they do not know what is wrong. They have a video conference with GM techs on Monday where they will hook up the truck to the dealership service systems and be able to transmit data to GM Engineering. Not good and I am not sure if I feel safe, now knowing that brakes could fail at any time…I will keep everyone posted…

Old 02-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

Ok, new battery installed.

Did they give me the right one?

Part # 89022169

They say they used the larger capacity battery...thanks.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Chevy Man

Looks good. Just make sure your repair order invoice indicates that they reprogrammed the BCM with the latest software updates as needed.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast

****update*****
Spoke w dealer by phone and they're saying the truck is ready. 1st report was that the hybrid battery conked out and the truck didn't kick over to gas...& they didn't know why. It is bc of the hybrid battery conking out and the truck not "switching over" that it ceased to excellerate and the reason I had to pull off I85 w/ a disabled vehicle.
That report was on Friday 2/27 they kept it at the time b/c they couldn't determine why it shut off

3/2/09
Today they said they replaced the normal battery bc it was dead....no word on firmware upgrades or anything like that I'll post another update if anything changes when we speak to them in person.

This is totally not what I expected. Not that I had it figured out but I did think something in the form of software updates would be mentioned- the hybrid battery was replaced already so I've checked that off. Has anyone had this happen? Also no mention of the Stabilitrack msg but the batteries were low & based on a post Nicka made anything's possible to say it's out of whack at that point

Last edited by heavychevy; 03-02-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Enthusiast

****update*****
Spoke w dealer by phone and they're saying the truck is ready. 1st report was that the hybrid battery conked out and the truck didn't kick over to gas...& they didn't know why. It is bc of the hybrid battery conking out and the truck not "switching over" that it ceased to excellerate and the reason I had to pull off I85 w/ a disabled vehicle.
That report was on Friday 2/27 they kept it at the time b/c they couldn't determine why it shut off

3/2/09
Today they said they replaced the normal battery bc it was dead....no word on firmware upgrades or anything like that I'll post another update if anything changes when we speak to them in person.

This is totally not what I expected. Not that I had it figured out but I did think something in the form of software updates would be mentioned- the hybrid battery was replaced already so I've checked that off. Has anyone had this happen?

Oh, the truck was made 6/08

Old 03-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Chevy Man

The Hybrid battery was replaced????????

It sounds like they replaced your 12V battery under the hood. I would find it hard to believe that they replaced the 300V battery (Hybrid Battery) under the back seat. I would bet that it would be near impossible that they would have been able to diagnose, order and receive one, and install it in the time you outlined above. Plus the fact that there is a parts restriction on the 300V battery and it has to be ordered directly through technical assistance after going through a lot of procedures.

If your truck was built after 3/08, which it was, then it should have already had the updated BCM charging software which is probably why nothing was mentioned, I'm guessing.

Also, I would guess that if you had a bad 12V battery it could cause a communication issue which could have contributed to the dilema with the 300V battery and Hybrid system working properly. It will be interesting to see what your invoice states, please post what they write on paper

Last edited by nicka; 03-02-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
Old 05-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

ME TOO! I hadn't driven my Tahoe in three days, and it wouldn't start. Charged the 12v battery, disconnected it to clear the computer- NOTHING. Lights and all accessories work just fine, but the motors won't start. Info screens flash a list of things to check.

Goes to the dealer on Monday, and they have given me a Loaner in the meantime.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:10 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default you might want to take a look at this site

Originally Posted by sfarris
ME TOO! I hadn't driven my Tahoe in three days, and it wouldn't start. Charged the 12v battery, disconnected it to clear the computer- NOTHING. Lights and all accessories work just fine, but the motors won't start. Info screens flash a list of things to check.

Goes to the dealer on Monday, and they have given me a Loaner in the meantime.

http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/Arti...ecautions.aspx

our cars are a bit more complex than just switching the battery out...even the 12 volt is very specific to the car

Last edited by jet1; 05-17-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Tahoe dilemma - Will not start

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands