Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid hunting vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid hunting vehicle.

I have used my wife's 2008 Tahoe Hybrid for the past 3 hunting seasons and find it is the ultimate hunting vehicle. As well, the Silverado/Sierra Hybrid should also be in this category. Here are the advantages I have found while hunting:

1. 4wd for off-road use. Selectable 2wd, Automatic, 4 Hi, 4Lo ranges

2. Selectable Off-road Suspension mode stiffens up the shocks.

3. Selectable Traction Control "OFF" for off-road use

4. Eaton Locking Diff. standard.

5. Lo end torque immediately available at low speeds in electric and Hybrid modes

6. Operates in "Stealth" mode (all electric at low speeds) which allows quite scouting and entry into hunting areas. This is a great advantage.

7. As a diabled Hunter I have a permit from the Pa. Game Commission to "Use a Vehicle as a Blind". This allows me:
A. access to disabled hunter areas, traveling on restricted forest roads and trails in "Stealth" mode discribed above.
The regulations say that the ignition must be OFF while possessing a loaded gun in the vehicle "blind" while hunting. However I can
B. enter the hunting area before daylight and quitely keep the vehicle warm using the electric heater/defroster and/or seat heater.
C. I can run these in the "accesory" switch position with the engine off. When I see game I can quickly turn the ignition to "OFF" and load the firearm by inserting a clip to comply with the regulations.
D. I can see forward, Rt. & Lt. with little head movement that can be seen outside the vehicle.
E. I can also see to the rear without head movement by using the rear view mirror and can continually scan a larger rear area by adjusting the outside rearview mirrors.

8. The rearmost seats can be removed for added space.

9. The standard 2" hitch allows the use of a game carrier or trailer to haul an ATV. I am seriously thinking of buying an all electric hunting ATV to supplement.

10. In my case I can use the game carrier as a seating platform if I wish to hunt outside the vehicle. I can also leave the rear door in the "OPEN" position as a roof/rain shield, even when using the game carrier as a seat. I can also run an electric heater from the A/C outlet in the back or recharge my walkie-talkie, game caller etc.

11. An unexpected advantage was that after securing my game to the game carrier; I can easily inspect the load while traveling without getting out of the vehicle by coming to a stop, placing in "Reverse" and viewing the load via the rear view camera. Note that when placing a game carrier or trailer in the hitch reciever the Rear Parking Assist System is automatically disabled, however the rear camera still functions

Please note that in most states as well as in Pennsylvania it is illegal to use a vehicle to locate and kill game (road hunting). Therefore I can not and do not drive slowly down a country road, see game then stop and shoot it. However the Hybrid can be used for pre-season scouting and for quitely entering and exiting a hunting area. Besides the reduced noise factor the non-emissions of the electric mode reduces the olfactory insult that may spook game.

12. The lights can be easily controlled and the day-light-running lights turned off using the light selector on the dash.

13. I have used game calls while sitting in the vehicle with the windows down and had game approach the vehicle with the accessories running Ie. heater, seat heater. This includes Turkey, Bear, Elk, Deer, Bobcat and Coyote. I found that animals do not see vehicles as a threat. This can be attributed to by the number of car/deer accidents, even in broad daylight. I first witnessed this while riding dirt bikes. I was able to motor up close to deer and turkey and sit watching while at idle. When I got off the bike and they recognized me as a human predator is when they scattered.

The convienience of being able to stay comfortable is an added advantage especially for a disabled hunter.

The only detriment I have found is the lower OEM front air dam. This can be removed or a modified shorter version can be installed for hunting and the winter season.

Last edited by DJWorm; 12-08-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid hunting vehicle.

Since your out in the middle of nowhere, I would recommend keeping a car battery jump starter on board to help get the engine started just in case you have a problem with your 12 volt battery, You are using a lot of power running all of your accessories you mentioned above.

For example something like this.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...62015861060350#

Old 12-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I do not run the electrics like the heater and seat heater constantly. Mostly I sit outside the vehicle but in inclement weather inside the vehicle. When sitting in the vehicle in cold weather, I am dressed in my hunting coat & gloves with the windows down and can usually stay warm without the heater/defroster; just like sitting in an outside blind. I may turn the ignition ON intermittantly after unloading the firearm by removing the clip to comply with regulations.
Alternatively I can keep the firearm unloaded with the ignition "ON" with all the accessories running that I might need. The engine will cycle "ON" infrequently and recharge the 300 volt battery when necessary. I can then turn "OFF" the ignition if I see game and install the clip of ammo quickly and quietly.

Remember the heater/defroster, A/C, water pump, seat heat, windows, wipers are all electric. These routinely run off the 300v. battery when driving in Hybrid mode , say in all electric slow speed or when the engine goes into "Auto STOP" at a stop light, for example. The unique thing is that with the 2 batteries (12 v. & 300 v.) I really do not think you can ever discharge both batteries at once. If I am not mistaken the 12 v. is only used to to start the vehicle. But the inverter in the car using the 300 v. battery can start the vehicle if the 12 v. fails.

But this brings up another standard feature (if you maintain the subscription) of:

14. ON STAR as a safety back up; which can locate you vehicle, unlock it, summon help if needed. I of course also carry my cell phone with me while hunting.

The Pa. Game Commission permit for diabled hunters to use "a vehicle as a blind", which allows you to enter disabled hunter areas and travel on restricted trails and forest roads also allows you to bring into those areas another non-disabled hunter and a junior hunter as well. If I bring my father (who also has a disabled permit also) We can take 2 vehicles, 2 non-disabled hunters and 2 junior hunters with us as well for a 2 vehicle party of 6 hunters.

So either with a 6 man - 2 vehicle poarty, 3 man party or alone with ON STAR and my cell phone I am not hunting "alone".

We have hunted in areas without cell phone reception but I was able to use the Satellite based ON STAR phone in the vehicle to communicate with the outside world.

In addition my son did use ON STAR once to unlock the vehicle while he was hunting alone and locked the keys in the vehicle. He had to hike up to the top of a hill to get adequate cell reception to contact me and ON STAR. But ON STAR successfully unlocked the vehicle deep in a remote valley without cell reception.

I always carry jumper cables routinely and a spare tire & jack while hunting.

Last edited by DJWorm; 12-09-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

15. Another advantage beside quiet and emission free scouting is that I can rapidly relocate to another area and can cover a lot of area using the vehicle while either hunting or scouting.

For example, while scouting for bear & turkey in pre-season I can enter an area, call for 20-40 minutes. If no bear or turkey appear or reply I can reposition to another area quickly and quietly. I can cover a lot of area scouting in the pre-season and have a general idea of where the game might be come hunting season and identify good hunting areas and not waste time in unproductive areas suring the hunting season.

I can either hunt these areas from the vehicles or establish ground blinds in the pre-season. Thie enables me to adapt to varying weather conditions and not waste time during the hunting season.

16. Another unexpected advantage I have found is with the Navigation system. It enables me to get to unfamiliar areas without getting lost.

17. Additionaly while traveling OFF Road the navigation system draws a blue dot "ghost" trail in unmapped areas. By expanding the map I can then see where I am or where I have been in relationship to mapped areas and previously unmapped trails indicated by the blue dots.

Last edited by DJWorm; 12-09-2010 at 02:26 PM.