HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

2003 HCH CVT Transmission failed 93,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2003 HCH CVT Transmission failed 93,000 miles

Sunday afternoon the flywheel finally cracked off the spline shaft and I towed it in to the dealer monday morning, when they discovered the car dont go without a flywheel
I was first quoted a price of 1400 for a new flywheel...
And I got the battery free

Old 03-11-2011, 04:55 AM
Enthusiast

I had the same exact problem for years (juddering when moving after the car has stopped, car moving forward when it goes to reverse, etc). At 150K the car starting making a very loud noise when it wasn't in N or P. The honda mechanic heard it and said it's coming from the transmission and needs to be replaced @ $3700 (That excludes labor). The transmission failed @ 181K miles and the dealership now says the fly wheel doesn't come with the $3700 tranny and I would need to pay another $500 for that. I was quoted around $1200 for the labor. This is a 03 civic hybrid.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: 2003 HCH CVT Transmission failed 93,000 miles

My 2003 HCH transmission failed at 90,000 miles at the dealer. I drove it to the dealer to have him look at the increased noise from the transmission, both while accelerating and decelerating. The dealer wanted $5000 for a new tranny. I wanted to take the car back home to consider my options. While waiting for the car, the service person informed me that he cannot move the car from the parking slot. I had it towed to my home.
I had the Honda Judder recall 07-049 done in 2007 at 20,000 miles, but the judder never went away. I took it to the dealer gain in 2008 at 28,000 miles. They recommended changing the tranny (not covered under warranty). They changed the EGR (covered under warranty) saying that it might help reduce the judder. It did slightly. It always juddered the first 10 sec from start but never while decelerating. After that I lived with it. Most of my driving is in the city.
I read here that "jsbrads" got 70% of the tranny replacement cost from Honda.
I would appreciate if "jsbrads" or anybody can give me tips in dealing with Honda. Also, how long it took them to get Honda to agree to pay. Did they have to hire an attorney? write a written complaint? or simple phone call would do?
Is this all worth it now on a 12 year old car? I had the IMA Battery replace in 2005 at 15,000 miles. Some times, while driving, I noticed in the last two years, the IMA battery from full level goes down to one eighth before the charging green bars show up. From there, If I drive longer than 30 min it charges to Full level. Is this a sign of the IMA battery's impending death?

Old 11-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PRGogi
My 2003 HCH transmission failed at 90,000 miles at the dealer. I drove it to the dealer to have him look at the increased noise from the transmission, both while accelerating and decelerating. The dealer wanted $5000 for a new tranny. I wanted to take the car back home to consider my options. While waiting for the car, the service person informed me that he cannot move the car from the parking slot. I had it towed to my home.
I had the Honda Judder recall 07-049 done in 2007 at 20,000 miles, but the judder never went away. I took it to the dealer gain in 2008 at 28,000 miles. They recommended changing the tranny (not covered under warranty). They changed the EGR (covered under warranty) saying that it might help reduce the judder. It did slightly. It always juddered the first 10 sec from start but never while decelerating. After that I lived with it. Most of my driving is in the city.
I read here that "jsbrads" got 70% of the tranny replacement cost from Honda.
I would appreciate if "jsbrads" or anybody can give me tips in dealing with Honda. Also, how long it took them to get Honda to agree to pay. Did they have to hire an attorney? write a written complaint? or simple phone call would do?
Is this all worth it now on a 12 year old car? I had the IMA Battery replace in 2005 at 15,000 miles. Some times, while driving, I noticed in the last two years, the IMA battery from full level goes down to one eighth before the charging green bars show up. From there, If I drive longer than 30 min it charges to Full level. Is this a sign of the IMA battery's impending death?
First, out of curiousity, what are your driving conditions (flat or hilly terrain, severe stop-and-go, etc.) and style (baby it, drive it somewhat conservatively, drive it like you stole it)? How frequently do you drive?

It may be that you have one or more suboptimal conditions that make your car more prone to failure.

Second, the chance of you getting Honda to warranty a 12 year old transmission that is well outside the warranty period is pretty much zero. You would likely spend more on an attorney to have them still say no in the end.

The gauge behavior you describe is a negative recalibration or "recal". A positive recal is when you are charging at a lower state of charge and then the gauge slowly goes to full at 1 bar/second. A negative OR positive recal on occasion is only a signal that the pack is somewhat imbalanced. A negative followed by forced charging terminating with a positive recal means you're battery is seriously imbalanced and an IMA light is likely coming soon.

If you've only had a negative recal a few times in the past couple years, that's not a big deal, but 10 years on a pack is getting up there, so problems may start coming faster.

As an alternative, you could try to obtain a replacement CVT from a salvage yard.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 11-21-2015, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Steve for the reply. Most of my driving is on flat ground, stop and go city traffic, commute to work, about 7000 miles/year, conservative and always got about 45 mpg avg for a tank of gas.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hills can wreak havoc on IMA components. Stop and Go is the next worst, but your mpg demonstrates your driving style (acceptable). Your mileage could be considered low, but not if you're driving at least 3-4 days per week.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 11-22-2015, 12:48 AM
Enthusiast

I was under warranty then.
Sold it at 167,000 & 10.5 yrs with another transmission failure which they asked for 4500+ to repair with a tran that would have a 1 yr warranty (since I expected the tran to crack between 1.5 -2.5 yrs... It was a write off.
Sold the car for $1500, with a new battery and everything in working order (except for the tran)

Old 05-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Steve for the reply. Most of my driving is on flat ground, stop and go city traffic, commute to work, about 7000 miles/year, conservative and always got about 45 mpg avg for a tank of gas.
Steve- I want to inform the community the closure on my issue.
You were right, the HONDA customer service sighted the out of warranty condition and offered $250 service vouchers at the dealer. I said no thanks and donated the car to St Judes. They sent me receipt for $900. My lesson learned-When I had the HONDA CVT problem, within the warranty period, I did not take it to the dealer. So, even it is painful (time and wait) take it to the dealer. it will be fixed or lemon law would give a new transmission or car. Vowed NEVER to BUY a CVT car from HONDA.

I bought a 2016 Toyota Prius 3 with touring option in Feb 2016 for $27,800. It is a dream and joy to drive. I have put on 2400 miles with 55 mpg. We became a Toyota family now. My son, niece and brother all have Toyota Priuss'.

Thank you and everybody. Happy motoring.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

Steve- I want to inform the community the closure on my issue.
You were right, the HONDA customer service sighted the out of warranty condition and offered $250 service vouchers at the dealer. I said no thanks and donated the car to St Judes. They sent me receipt for $900. My lesson learned-When I had the HONDA CVT problem, within the warranty period, I did not take it to the dealer. So, even it is painful (time and wait) take it to the dealer. it will be fixed or lemon law would give a new transmission or car. Vowed NEVER to BUY a CVT car from HONDA.

I bought a 2016 Toyota Prius 3 with touring option in Feb 2016 for $27,800. It is a dream and joy to drive. I have put on 2400 miles with 55 mpg. We became a Toyota family now. My son, niece and brother all have Toyota Priuss'.

Thank you and everybody. Happy motoring.
I went to the dealer while under warranty, got the tranny replaced, it just died again at 10.5 yrs once out of warranty...
Toyota buyer now, perhaps for life... Or Tesla.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sogal
HELP. After 93,000 pain-free miles, my transmission totally went out on my '03 Civic Hybrid. Dealer first said it was Cut Input Speed Sensor. They installed new one, didn't fix problem. They then pulled transmission apart and now saying flywheel has "broken teeth". Plans to replace flywheel on Friday when part arrives, but can't (or won't?) tell me what caused the breakage.

Add to this it happened the day before thanksgiving, and I've been without a car for a week, probably will be until Friday. Despite all timely Honda maintenance, a call to "Honda cares" proves they really don't. Offering nothing to help solve problem, as over 36,000 and off warranty. Is this common? If so, I'm trading it in on a Toyota the day I get it back.
did replacing the flywheel fix the problem? i have a 2003 HCH cvt tranny with 128,000 miles...i came to a stop sign and it just wouldnt move anymore...had to pull it home...it still starts right up and everything still works in it...but it just won't move in any gear...and i didn't have any type of warning that it was going to happen...so did replacing the flywheel help your car?

Quick Reply: 2003 HCH CVT Transmission failed 93,000 miles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands