HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Buying an 03 HCH w/CVT - what do I need to ask?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast
Question Buying an 03 HCH w/CVT - what do I need to ask?

Hi everyone! This is my first post here...I was so excited to find this site.

We just sold our 2005 GMC Yukon (yay! that thing got 18mpg...it was horrible!) and are looking for a small used car for me to drive around town (I'm a stay-at-home mom to our 1-year-old son).

We would like to pay cash, and I found an '03 Honda Civic Hybrid for $9,995, which is in our budget. It's the 4-door automatic with CVT and has 45,137 miles. Body and interior are in great condition, and the ride is very smooth (my husband and I both drove it, since I don't know much about cars). We're going back Thursday to speak with the dealer again and may go ahead and purchase it if everything is to our liking.

I know there are other threads about this here, but I'm wondering what exactly I need to ask the dealer about how the car has been maintained.

- I know that I need to ask about the transmission fluid changes (should have had one at 30K and will need another at 60K, correct?).

- Tell me about the EGR valve thing (in layman's terms, please - I'm a car dummy!). Should the dealer know if they have been cleaned properly? Is there any way I can tell? Should I just go ahead and clean them right away if I buy it? Can I do this myself (where would I find instructions)? Or should I bring it to a Honda shop? How much would it cost? How often should it be done?

- About how much will the 60K service cost at a Honda shop? (I'm in Louisiana, if that matters.)

- I read that there were a couple of recalls with the '03 HCH...what's that about, and how will I know if they've been taken care of?

- Do I need to ask/know anything special about the batteries?

- Are oil changes any different on a hybrid? My husband changes our oil now...can he continue to do this with the HCH? What oil should I use?

- Anything else I should ask the dealer or have checked out?

- Anything else I should know about HCH maintenance?

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give me. I'm new to hybrids and don't know much about cars, but I really did like this vehicle and hope it works out for us.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying an 03 HCH w/CVT - what do I need to ask?

Hi Stacy,
I also just bought a 2003 HCH but with Alot more miles. I bought my car Knowing or thinking i had a tranny problem but i was getting the car real cheap to make a long story short my tranny problem was not a problem it was my EGR so I was lucky. I only found this problem by reading thease forums they are great and filled with info. In my opinion the EGR valve will go bad soon or later. if you replace it yourself cost will be around $160.00 by the dealer under $300.00 so if you can get them to replace it before you buy it GREAT,if not well you know about what it will cost. Oil cgange and tranny fluid change very simple. under the car you will see a large plastic shield covering the entire bottom of the engine and tranny little plastic clips hold it on pull the center of each clip down about 1/8 inch and wiggle the clip and they come right out. once the cover is removed look straigt up and you will see the oil filter. on the passenger side you will find the oil drain bolt and the driver side you will see the tranny drain plug you will need a 3/8 Inch drive ratchet for the tranny drain you will see why the tranny drain plug has a square hole for the ratchet to fit right in, no socket needed. use 4 quarts 0W20 oil for the engine, Buy Honda CVT fluid for the tranny you will need to buy 4 Quarts you will only use 3.5 Quarts new washers for each drain plug should be used. since you are buying a used car you do not know for sure that all was done so do it when you buy your car and you know you are good to go. As for the battery's i was told they are maintenance free nothing to do. any particular questions you might have Just ask here there are alot of really helpful people here.
Good luck with your car.