HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

New hybrid owner, need advice on oil etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default New hybrid owner, need advice on oil etc.

Hello,

I bought my first hybrid this year a 2003 HCH. (My previous two vehicles being an '88 Ford Ranger and a '94 Jeep Cherokee!) I really love it so far. It's really been a big help as I have a long commute to work. I got above average fuel effiency in my previous vehicles (25 for the Jeep and 21 for the Ranger) through passive driving and great maintenance. I've been averaging around 52 in my Civic.

I got it 'as-is' from a Kia dealer with 125k on it and I'm pretty sure that the owner who traded it in didn't give it the best maintenance...

1. Anyway, I am in need of an oil change. What kind should I get? 5w20 is what is reccomended, but I know the HCH-II takes the 0w20. Can my car take the 0w20? Has anyone done this and is it the better choice. Is it still safe in the winter (I live in Ohio, mind you). I have no idea what oil was in it when I got it.

2. Also, has anyone tried the K&N air filter with their vehicle? I like the idea of not throwing out my filter, but what is the change in MPG?

3. My check engine in ABS light is on, so I do need to get it to the shop. I've noticed that when getting out of auto-stop if I don't go slow out of it, the car makes a grinding noise. I've read on other forums that it could be a wore out belt on the CVT. Anyone have a similar experience?

4. In general, is there anything else I can do to increase my MPG? I'd like to get up to the 55 average range...I avoid gas with etanol as much as I can for living in Ohio and keep my tire pressure up.

(Sorry for so many questions)

Old 11-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Think green.
Default Re: New hybrid owner, need advice on oil etc.

Hi and welcome.

I can't answer all your questions, but as for #1, the recommended oil for the HCH-I is 0w20, and it is fine in the winter.

The grinding noise could very well be a worn-out belt in the CVT. When you go to get your check engine light looked at, you should ask about that noise. If it wasn't done by the previous owner, your car may need a transmission fluid change (recommended fluid is Honda CVT fluid).

Your mpg seems to be pretty darn good on average. You can get some tips on improving that at cleanmpg.com

Old 11-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Vaughn and welcome to the madness.

0w-20 is recommended and I have been using Mobil 1 since day one. (178,000 miles on her now)

Drain and refil the tranny. That will probably help with the grinding issue. If not, have it checked out.

I have a K&N in my 2003 HCH. I have not noticed any increase in milage, but it beats changing the filter often.

I have always tried to "baby" my CVT. It doesn't seem to be the most sturdist transmission made, but with a light foot it should last. Change the fluid often. It is easier to change the transmission than the engine oil. (as least for me)

The ABS light probably means that it needs a brake job. I'm on my second set of front pads and have never touched the rear drums.

To get high mileage, just take it easy. It will take some getting used to, but high mileage can be achieved. I usually average around 48 to 51 and get around 500 miles to a tank.

Good luck

Old 12-04-2010, 05:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hweldon
...To get high mileage, just take it easy. It will take some getting used to, but high mileage can be achieved. I usually average around 48 to 51 and get around 500 miles to a tank.

Good luck
Not to toot my own horn, but I drive 55 miles round trip (90% freeway) and I drive 75-80 MPH and I always get at least 500 miles per tank with 100 lbs of audio equipment in the trunk. And, this is done on regular tires (not lrr) inflated to 40 psi. It is a manual transmission though.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

So...I'm thinking of getting the K&N filter, but I'm worried about the MAF sensor problems.

What's the best air filter that is replaceable? Fram?