HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Replacement Keys - Why so expensive

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Replacement Keys - Why so expensive

I lucked out . . . I got my 03 used a few months ago – from a Honda dealer. When the sales guy was doing up the final paper - and before I had signed - he said, “There is only the one key.” And I said, “I will need another.” and gave him a look like “I ain’t buying this car without another key.”

At the time I didn’t realize the trouble! He went away to “complete the paperwork, etc.” and told me “it may be awhile.” It took over an hour, probably close to two (I lost track of time), but he came back with another key and another fob. They must have had to cut the thing and program it and all. Thinking back, I am sure all the extra time was getting the key and the fob.

kernk

Old 08-24-2006, 02:21 PM
The New Guy

Epilogue: $214 and 90 minutes later I have 3 new keys. The master keys were $48 each while the valet was $19 (umm, WTH?) so they were a little screwy with their pricing. The service charge was $94 and I also got to kick in $2 for shop materials (again, WTH?). They did wash my car though.

Now I am off to eBay to buy OEM key fobs.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:24 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

I'd assume the long time it took to "make" the replacement keys is that they had to re-program the fob(s) to unlock the car. Otherwise everybody would be able to unlock everybody else's car with the same keyfob.

Might have gone faster if they'd had the original key card that comes with the car when new, because that has the programming codes on it, so they can create one key at a time. Without that, if there's no information online about the exact settings of your car, it's possible they'd have to reprogram ALL the keys to work correctly.

Back when I was still doing BMW, there was a minimum 1 hour service charge (don't a$k) to reprogram the keyfob to add any additional non-default features to the key (like the way the car confirms that it's been locked, or whether the sunroof opens when you press-and-hold the unlock button), so I never changed mine.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:34 AM
The New Guy

I don't mind the minimum charge I guess, but the price of the key blanks kind of pisses me off. What REALLY pisses me off is that the Valet blank was $19 while the Masters were $48? The only difference would be in the key cut (as not to allow opening the truck or unlocking the inside trunk lock). The transponders must be the same or else the car won't start. Had I known that the Valets were so much cheaper I could have gotten 3 copies of those instead.

I got a couple of fobs off of ebay and programming them into the car was simple and did not appear to require any old fobs in the sequence. I guess if you have a key that can cycle the lock to on you can program in any fob you like. I don't know if the Immobilizer circuit is open without the transponder, but I would hope so. If you can program fobs just by turning the lock cylinder that would be a little loose on security.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

well... always remember that the dealer's not making his money on SELLING you the car, but on MAINTAINING it!

The (new) car itself is pretty much "loss leader"

Old 09-11-2006, 06:43 PM
2004 HCH-I Owner

Also, ever notice how the GenI key is a full inch longer than it needs to be? (and at least an inch longer than any other key i have ever owned for anything). After inserting the key it still sticks out more than an inch. WTF were they thinking?
I will go you one better. A friend of mine has a 2003 HCH-I. Her key is much shorter and much thinner than mine, and looks like a regular flat metal car key pretty much. Mine (2004 HCH-I) is the big fat key that sticks out of the ignition an inch and a half.

As others have said, when I picked up the car from the dealer, I got two key fobs, two master keys (black), and a valet key (grey).

Old 09-11-2006, 06:52 PM
The New Guy

Did the 03's come with the transponders/Immobilizer in them?

I just don't see the point of a vendor changing transponder setup so **** often, even just from a freaking shelf space perspective. We have 03 thin keys, 04 long keys, 06 keys with built in fob - just for one freaking model? Honda dealers must have a room filled with nothing but key blanks.

If the transponder series isn't compromised then I don't see what they gain. Other than forcing us to one supplier, I guess.