HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Roof Rack

Im looking for a 4 post ,2 bar roof system for my 05 HCH1....I would like to be directed to a car specific and not universal..my intention is to carry a 10 foot kayak..many thanks

Last edited by philwford; 05-03-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Roof Rack

Hi,

Sorry to give you the kind of reply that you specifically weren't looking for, but my wife and I have had no trouble with a Yakima towers-and-bars system on our car, an '04 HCH (we use the rack for long-distance trips with a 20.5'-long solo outrigger canoe multiple times per year). We use foam block pads on the rails rather than kayak cradles, but that's because foam and straps are easier on a fragile racing hull than cradles. It's easier to have folks at REI or MEC or EMS or wherever install the components, but with this car I (painstakingly) did it myself after our older car was totaled, and we haven't had any problems with the rack. With the car itself, on the other hand...

yours,
Nathan

Old 05-06-2013, 05:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Roof Rack

Originally Posted by nday
Hi,

Sorry to give you the kind of reply that you specifically weren't looking for, but my wife and I have had no trouble with a Yakima towers-and-bars system on our car, an '04 HCH (we use the rack for long-distance trips with a 20.5'-long solo outrigger canoe multiple times per year). We use foam block pads on the rails rather than kayak cradles, but that's because foam and straps are easier on a fragile racing hull than cradles. It's easier to have folks at REI or MEC or EMS or wherever install the components, but with this car I (painstakingly) did it myself after our older car was totaled, and we haven't had any problems with the rack. With the car itself, on the other hand...

yours,
Nathan
Thanks for the reply, on further research I found a lot are model specific..(newbie here) I like the yakima and the rhino...I too will use the foam blocks...