HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Side Airbag Warning Light on when wet outside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Side Airbag Warning Light on when wet outside.

My side airbag has been having a warning light go on only when it is wet, or foggy. It has been doing this on/off for 50,000 miles, have told the dealer...nada.

Given this issue: http://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/airbags/
Has anybody else with c 2004 Honda Hybrids had this warning light issue?
I am guess I have a Takata Corp airbag, but when I put my VIN number in the Honda Corp page no recall action appears for these hybrid models. My problem (esp the moisture component) sounds a lot like what I hear on the news.

I do see this page from '05 about error codes and switches causing the problem, but I am pretty sure it is moisture in my case. It is always the side airbag when it is rainy, foggy, or wet in winter.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Side Airbag Warning Light on when wet outside.

Originally Posted by NateTheGreat
My side airbag has been having a warning light go on only when it is wet, or foggy. It has been doing this on/off for 50,000 miles, have told the dealer...nada.
My 2003 does the exact same thing - when the passenger side front seat is empty. Be sure you don't have anything sitting on the passenger side front seat, even just a sweater or a hat, that tends to turn on that light too. I think the problem is in the sensor for that seat, not in the airbag itself. The sensor is looking for an off center weight, like somebody leaning towards the door, for some reason humidity tends to make it think that is going on.

Sometimes I can make that light go out by pounding on the seat cushion a little. Not reliably though.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

I am taking my 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid in Monday to have the cause of that side airbag light fixed. Turns out it's a faulty seatbelt sensor and my Honda dealer is replacing for free. Hope this is helpful to you. I just joined this forum so I could let you know and maybe that's what is causing your light to stay on.

BTW, the service manager knew what it was and offered to get the part and fix it when I had it in for an oil change and new battery. I'm not sure if he is doing this because I have a great relationship with the service department (not that I have needed much done) or if this is normally covered. I have 152,000 miles on the car and am the original owner.

Karen V

Old 07-01-2017, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast

I probably should have been more specific on what I meant by coming apart.

It's popping out at the top. The first few times it popped out, I tried pushing it back in. I then firmly pushed it back in place and hit a couple of times to make sure it would stay in place. I guess that wasn't the best idea, because now it won't stay in place at all.

It will be interesting to find out from the dealer parts desk, how much the clips will cost and the labor. The airbag panel has stayed in place for the last 10 years I've had the car. I don't know why it would just all the sudden pop out of place and not go back in.