HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Uninvited guests?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Lightbulb Uninvited guests?

While doing routine maintenance to my '90 Accord a few years back, I popped the top off the airbox and saw a pile of lint and leaves. Then I saw a mouse move and head down the air intake tube. I got rid of the nest and vacuumed out the airbox.
I then cut up some old screen and wired it to the bottom of the 2 air intake tubes, having to remove the battery.
Apparently the mouse had been looking for a winter home, got bored, and chewed the bottom of the air filter while in his nest.
He left little calling cards all around the engine bay.
When I got my HCH1, I cut up a bit of thick gutter screen, painted it black (makes it look cool, and stock), and attached it to the front of the air intake to discourage guests. So far, no sign of them.
Has anyone else found a nest in their airbox like I have?

Old 11-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Uninvited guests?

This is rather amusing, even though I'm sure it wasn't funny to you when it happened!

The only problem I have had with critters in my car is that I spend a lot of time out in nature, and I frequently find ticks in my car...they get on my pants and then either fall off, or crawl off onto the car's seats because they're soft and fuzzy and resemble an animal more than my pants.

Sometimes I've found them days after I've been out somewhere...which is annoying because in tick season, I need to check for ticks after riding in the car!

Old 11-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Uninvited guests?

Maybe you should start a class action lawsuit, surely this is Hondas fault.