HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 AM
rkr
Enthusiast
Default Winter Tires

I'm looking at getting a set of winter tires this year. I'm wondering if any of you have any of these tires and what you think of them, who you bought them from for how much, mpg, etc. I wrote a post similar to this on the other hybrid car forum but this one looks to be much more active lately.

It seems like this will cost 400 and up to do, if I get new wheels as well.

There is are 2 sets that seems cheaper than the rest, but I wonder what the tradeoffs are. With the Hankook I think I saw some reviews where they complain about road noise. I'd have these tires on the car from late Oct through early May if we have a good snow year.

TireRack has a whole bunch, these are there studless ones:
Dunlop Graspic DS-2 ($57)
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 ($72)
Michelin X-Ice Xi2 ($77)

And also, I've seen on Discount Tire:
Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2 ($70)
Hankook Winter iPike W409 ($49)
Yokohama Ice Guard IG20 ($70)

We get a fair amount of snow, but mainly this is for when I'm going to ski areas when they can't get all the snow off the road. Or when we're driving to or from to ski areas after a few inches of fresh has fallen and the plows aren't out yet.

I've found my car has done pretty well in the snow considering. I've found two main problems with it: 1) low clearance; and 2) low power going up a steep hill. Most of the time I've gotten in trouble is when a really slow car is in front of me and I'm forced to go into 1st gear (I've got a MT). I think everytime I've been in 1st up a hill in snow or ice has been stressful/problematic.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Winter Tires

I have four cooper weather-masters mounted on rims, and find them good. I normally go with a lower cost tire for winter as my speeds are much slower during winter.I would try the Hankook if your not a speed nut! ,grin> H

Old 10-16-2008, 09:50 AM
rkr
Enthusiast

That is good to think about. I do a fair amount of driving still on the highway at about 65, and most of the time the road will be dry. Unless we have a really awesome winter! :-)

I'm half tempted to try and find a cheap Subaru or something similar to buy. Problem is cheap Subaru's are rare around here and they sell fast no matter what the price.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 AM

Subaru are a nice car but why pay a arm and leg for something you may never use? Put good winters on your Civic and a set of those new plastic chains in the trunk and your pretty well set for any ski hill road.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:31 PM
rkr
Enthusiast

Do tell what these new plastic chains are. My husband was just complaining about the chains we have last night, the standard metal ones that Honda recommends for the HCH I.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:35 PM

Check it out at the auto suply stores. I don't have them , but I see them advertised.H