HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

09 Hybrid Battery Dead

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy 09 Hybrid Battery Dead

We've had the car two months and the battery is dead. The dealership told us the battery needs to come from Japan.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Am really disappointed in the car.

Thanks.
Sue

Old 12-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 Hybrid Battery Dead

Very unusual, but its a good time for things to happen. Good luck,H

Old 12-09-2008, 04:51 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

Is it the 12 V starter battery or high-voltage IMA battery?

Oh, found it now. It's the IMA battery.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-issues-20445/

Last edited by rgx; 12-09-2008 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Found double-post.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast

The problem is with the IMA battery. The Honda rep came and looked at the car and said that there is a six week window that the batteries were produced in that are defective.

They said the batteries are still on backorder and the soonest we will get our car back is Christmas. The told me they would reimburse us for one month's payment. At least they are paying for the rental we are in.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Resident ICE Wizard

at least they admitted the problem. Sounds like they are doing everything they can to keep you happy. I've had my HCHII for 2 years now, and I still love it. Don't let this hiccup stop you from enjoying your car.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I am having the same problem on my '09 Hybrid.
Did you get a response from your dealer yet?
What sort of compensation did the company offer other than the rental car coverage?
My dealer has not even offered that.
Also, if you have a copy of the bulletin, then can you please send that across?
Any information would be appreciated.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Enthusiast

Hi -

Honda or the dealership paid for our rental. The rental company put us in a low end rental and we told the dealership we needed a like type rental and were able to get an upgrade.

The battery was shipped from Japan, which took a couple of weeks to arrive. The service manager told me that the problem was that washers were left out of some batteries during their manufacture and Honda told them not to troubleshoot the problem just to replace the battery of which I am thankful for in the long run. I'd rather have the battery replaced than to have to keep returning for the same problem.

Honda is paying for one month's car payment which we have yet to receive yet because when I picked up our car, which was Tuesday, the Honda rep was coming the next day to tell them how that would be handled. I was told the payment would be made directly to us and not our bank.

It took them one day to replace the battery. That involved removing the back seat.

I don't have a bulletin on this and don't know if Honda has produced one. If the dealerships are aware of this problem I don't understand why Honda doesn't do a voluntary recall and have batteries shipped so consumers don't have to wait for them. You would think their reputation would be important to them but it doesn't appear so from my interaction with them.

Good luck. Maybe if you repeat my story to your dealership you will be able to get the same. Let me know how you make out.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Enthusiast

thanks so much for your response.I will definitely let you know of the response I get from Honda/dealership.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

Another one bits the dust! The IMA light was staying on in my 2009 so I took it to the dealership. I was told yesterday that I needed a new battery as the one in the car is not holding charge. I have 4,500 miles on it. I was told it would take at least a week to get a new battery, supposedly from CA. Until then I have a gas hogging loaner. After reading the other comments I am prepared to ask for compensation. The tech at the dealership was not aware of any problems with the 2009 batteries so I mentioned that he might want to check into it further for other owners. As always, thanks for all of the info on this forum. It helps to be prepared when you face an issue.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, Honda is doing nothing to help me with this issue. Since, this is covered under warranty, they are going to replace the battery and that's it.
Of course, they are throwing the menial payment of close to $150 for extra gas that was spent during the period that I have had the car.

Seems like Honda is not the same company that we thought we were buying the car from.

Quick Reply: 09 Hybrid Battery Dead

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands