HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2008 HCH - Why no leather???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: 2008 HCH - Why no leather???

Originally Posted by antinouskalisto
I The last thing I want in my car is dead animal skin. It kinda goes against my whole anti-destruction / pro-conservation thing. Just a little. I'm not saying you're wrong to want leather, just seems like a not so far leap in reasoning for it not being available OEM.
Then a better approach would be to stop eating beef. Remember automotive seating leather comes from cows that have been slaughtered for meat. If no one eats beef, then no cows will be slaughtered, and the supply of cow skin for leather will dry up.

Given that this is probably not going to happen, using the cow skin for seat covers is a much better use of the all of the animal parts rather then just putting it in a landfill.

Using organic materials like leather for car seat covers reduces our use of oil that is currently used to make the synthetic seat covers that our cars have now.

So next time you bite into a big Mac, remember that those that have leather car seats are doing their part to use our natural resources more effectively and efficiently.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Then a better approach would be to stop eating beef. Remember automotive seating leather comes from cows that have been slaughtered for meat. If no one eats beef, then no cows will be slaughtered, and the supply of cow skin for leather will dry up.
Agreed, I've already done that. No meat for me.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

http://www.goveg.com

If you ever needed a reason.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

If you ever needed a reason to do what? not to eat meat or not to have leather seat covers?

Not eating meat is a good and noble thing, and I am about 90% of the way there, but my main point is that having leather seat covers is a good thing for the environment because they replace synthetic seat covers and help us to use less oil.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:56 PM

Goveg has many reasons for being vegetarian.

My main reasons are for my own health, my abhorrence for livestock treatment, and my care for the environment.

That is a serious generalization, I'll refrain from going further into it.

I am not against the responsible use of leather, but I could live without it.

OE, 90% is great! I love to hear it.

Cheers, Ian

Old 12-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I was dismayed to find that the '08 does not come with mink seats. At the very least I require leather acquired from veal, nothing else suffices.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast

If you're simply worried about cleanning up after pets, kids, stuff on the cloth seat: why not get customized seat covers? I've got customized seat covers made of denim that I can take off and wash as required. Speaking of, I need to wash them soon, they're getting there...

But if your preference is to have leather seat and leather smell, that obviously won't do.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:34 AM

Make sure you aren't blocking the seat-mounted side airbags.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:22 PM
USAF Retired

The one thing about leather is that it gets cold in the winter, so heated seats become more of a necessity. I understand in Europe the hybrid comes that way. Here Honda was worried about the increased cost and impact on sales. Personally I would have preferred it that way, and since I have no issue with eating beef, sitting on leather does not bother me.