HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2009 Civic - All Electric?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:35 PM
fmp
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Civic - All Electric?

No doubt that I need to re-learn how to drive. I came from getting 15mpg in my previous vehicle to getting 35-40 in this car so either way I am happy. I definitely want to get numbers like are posted on this site but I do eventually need to get where I am going

Thanks for the tips.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: 2009 Civic - All Electric?

Originally Posted by fmp
I definitely want to get numbers like are posted on this site but I do eventually need to get where I am going
Glad you are open to some good input. Remember that these tips and tricks are NOT about driving lethargically. You will master being able to drive 'normally' while being mindful of fuel management... therefore still able to get to your dentist, etc. on time. Patience, grasshopper!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

One thing that helps me is to get out of "cruise control" mode, not being fanatic about keeping your speed spot-on (or over) the posted limit. I believe this is also referred to as Driving With Load (DWL). The object is to set your speed more efficiently:

Say for example you are accelerating from a standing start, but are going to be turning one block ahead. If nobody's hot on your tail just bring your speed up modestly, and then coast to that corner. You get there a few seconds later, save both gas and brake pads.

Or if you encounter a slight hill: let your speed fall off as you climb, and then recoup speed on the downhill.

Of course always check the rear mirror for close-following vehicles, and temper this behaviour accordingly.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The one place I really do "ride my pack" is on the way to work, I have a 2 mile section of road that is nearly level or slightly downhill, with a speed limit of 30. I find that if I run it at 1 or 2 bars, I can stay in ev mode most if not the entire 2 miles...it is followed by a mile of downhill that is steep enough that I drop it into 2 maintain my speed and recharge the battery to arround 7-8 bars, total mileage for that 3 mile leg is usually 140 to 150 (or more, who knows) mpg. but then of course, the return trip is usually 40-50 mpg... depending on traffic and a/c usage, nothing is, after all, free.
This trick does not work in winter where my car is still trying to get warm enough to go into auto stop by the time I hit this section of roadway and if anything, this cools it down.