HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

60.5 Mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default 60.5 Mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone,

I hit a personal best this morning on the way to work, yes, 60.5 MPG average for my 30+ mile trip from the suburbs to Chicago. I took a picture on my cell phone but have no clue how to upload here but just couldn't be happier!!! I also found out where the noise in my car was coming from: the passenger side seat belt latch hitting up against the plastic part of the armrest. Can't wait to see what kind of MPG's I can get when the weather is warm.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 60.5 Mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats. Are you logging your tanks here?

Old 02-09-2008, 08:37 AM
For my daughter

Originally Posted by SilverStar
Can't wait to see what kind of MPG's I can get when the weather is warm.
Right !, that's your best only for now. You will triple that this summer

Congrat.

PierreM.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:01 AM
Enthusiast

RE: Am I logging my miles here?; I put my first tank in, which was 45.1 but it never showed up on the chart so I stopped inputting that info but I'd love to. I have all of the reciepts. My last tank (just filled up last night) averaged 48.5 which I'm happy with since I had a few short stop and go type trips and VERY cold weather here in Chicago. I'm making another trip to Chicago today and it's -3 degrees and very windy so I'll be interested to see what my trip gives me (best was 60.5, worst was 57.7). I should note: I have not pumped my tires up past 33psi, no grill block, etc etc....just very watchful of the mpg meter and cruise as much as possible except uphill which I've been able to beat by doing it myself vs cruise. I also don't use the "accelerate as slowly as possible technique"...I find it's better to give it electric assist with 4-5 bars, not 2 and get up to speed then keep a light foot on it. I also have been using no less than mid-grade gas which I firmly believe gives me higher mpg's no matter what anyone here says.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:11 AM
For my daughter

I also don't use the "accelerate as slowly as possible technique"...I find it's better to give it electric assist with 4-5 bars, not 2 and get up to speed then keep a light foot on it.
I confirm you're right. You better reach your speed asap (4-5 bars) then glide as far as possible. If you accelerate as slowly as possible, you pass all your time accelerating with a very limited glide. Actually, your 60 mpg shows that you could teach to many others.

Great performance for the winter. Just for let you know. I live in Quebec, Canada. The last (and first) summer, my average was 56 mpg (with two thanks at 60 and one ride at 70 mpg). My first winter tanks were 42.7 mpg and with some improvement, I should end the winter with an average around 48 mpg.

Pierre M.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast

A few days ago I hit 60.5, (which I'm going to upload a pic of when I get a chance), when the temps here in Chicago were in the mid-20's but yesterday on the same trip, same time of day but temps were between -3 and 2 degrees I had a trip average of only 39.2!!! It was extremely windy and cold but I never imagined I'd take that much of a hit!!! I also felt like the car was easily moved side to side from the crosswinds vs other cars I've had in the past but then again I came from a V8 Toyota 4Runner which was immovable so who knows. Funny thing: I was crawling in traffinc on the highway and pulled up next to a Prius and honked at them to say "hello fellow hybrid owner" but they just looked at me like I was a weirdo"......I guess that's a good thing since to me the Prius looks like a snail on wheels.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Think green.

SilverStar...check the listings for the HCH I. Like many other HCH II owners, for some reason your log entry ended up in that list instead of the HCH II list.
Hopefully someday someone will figure out why that's been happening and get everyone's data into the correct listings.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/...-civiccvt.html

Old 02-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Enthusiast

I just checked and yes my 2008 Civ Hybrid is on the HCH1 Gen Database!!!!!!!! Why??? This is very frustrating....I'm going to try to get it moved to HCH2 but if I can't there's no point in my mind of tracking it since most people use that graph to judge the current gen vs. the prius vs other civhybrid2 cars. Thanks for the alert.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:37 AM

A few days ago I hit 60.5, (which I'm going to upload a pic of when I get a chance), when the temps here in Chicago were in the mid-20's but yesterday on the same trip, same time of day but temps were between -3 and 2 degrees I had a trip average of only 39.2!!! It was extremely windy and cold but I never imagined I'd take that much of a hit!!! I also felt like the car was easily moved side to side from the crosswinds vs other cars I've had in the past but then again I came from a V8 Toyota 4Runner which was immovable so who knows. Funny thing: I was crawling in traffinc on the highway and pulled up next to a Prius and honked at them to say "hello fellow hybrid owner" but they just looked at me like I was a weirdo"......I guess that's a good thing since to me the Prius looks like a snail on wheels.
You are getting a lot of side to side movement due to how they align the tires. They align them to offer the best efficiency at the expense of "control".

Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM

Congratulations!
Great Job - especially at your cold temps!

Quick Reply: 60.5 Mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands