HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

70-70-70 Hyperspeeding

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Technology Junkie
Default 70-70-70 Hyperspeeding

Has anybody managed to average over 70 mpg while averaging at least 70 mph & traveling a minimum non-stop distance of 70 miles (across level or mixed terrain)? I would imagine this feat could be easily accomplished driving across Kansas. I've been able to atttain this kind of mileage for much shorter driving distances. Is there anybody out there that managed to do this? And how many hypermilers did you pass when you did it?

BTW: You could probably do it driving down a mountain, but that would be cheating.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:14 AM
'06 HCH Owner
Default Re: 70-70-70 Hyperspeeding

Originally Posted by Gobbles
Has anybody managed to average over 70 mpg while averaging at least 70 mph & traveling a minimum non-stop distance of 70 miles (across level or mixed terrain)? I would imagine this feat could be easily accomplished driving across Kansas. I've been able to atttain this kind of mileage for much shorter driving distances. Is there anybody out there that managed to do this? And how many hypermilers did you pass when you did it?

BTW: You could probably do it driving down a mountain, but that would be cheating.
Strange question, I haven't seen ALOT of people on here that average OVER 70 in any conditions, much less driving at 70 mph.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:16 AM
World's First Hybrid

It could probably be done if you could lower your airspeed with maybe a constant 30mph tailwind. That would lower your apparent speed to about 40mph, or you could sneak up to within about 2 ft of a semi going 70mph and get a nice draft. Air resistance/drag is your enemy when going fast.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I think a close-in draft on a great target or a huge tail wind would be the only way to do it. I wouldn't recommend the former, and the latter would be nice but hard to come by in most places. I don't even know if an Insight could pull it off without assistance or "cheating."

Old 09-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Please people, you don't need to get that close-in when drafting. That crap is for professional racing. A 15ft draft plus tailwind ought to get you there. I'd rather see people aiming for a much more realistic (and safe!) and consistent 60-60-60 (which I *have* done myself) first.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Like I said.

Originally Posted by brick
I wouldn't recommend the former
A 15ft draft is, what, a car length or less? I would say that is approaching a close-in draft.

Last edited by brick; 09-14-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gobbles

The only way I know that can be done is close drafting behind an 18-wheeler in an Insight. Maybe it's possible in a Civic or Prius.

In fact, I was on I40 doing 70-75mph and got 73.5mpg over 475 miles. ScanGage indicated the coolant temp rise from 198F to 205F.

It's not that practical to do in the city due to the traffic and the short duration of the draft - I'm generally better just going under 60.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

I'm saying 15' empty space, which puts you right about the third car back if everyone were doing a NASCAR style bump-draft. On my long freeway drives, I'm usually where the fourth car would be, and still do just fine. All this recent talk of drafting makes me nervous... it is a skill that requires time, patience, and practice to do safely. Not for someone who just got a new car and wants to set mpg records despite never having done it in their old car.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands