HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Aftermarket control arms - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Aftermarket control arms - recommendations?

I recently learned about TSB 08-001 and approached my local dealership about having this done. They refused to upgrade my control arms (at Honda's cost) despite having talked to them over the past few years about the rapid wear of my OEM tires. They told me that I can, of course, pay them for the upgrade.

I am going to replace the (defective) OEM control arms but wanted to know about any specific recommendations for aftermarket items. I don't want to adversely affect my MPG etc. and would like to keep it < $300.

For instance, there was a recommendation here that suggests
The same reduction in camber can be achieved with a bracket kit with a replacement eccentric cam bolt.
I would be very interested in the forum's input on this and any other suggestions. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket control arms - recommendations?

Sorry, I don't have a useful response to your question about after-market control arms but I just want to say "WTF Honda" ... this is shameful. They f***ed up, and it's their responsibility to fix the problem irrespective of how old the bad part is. I was mad last year when they refused to pay for my replacement tires in full ... well in comparison, I was lucky.

Good luck on your quest - hope you get the car all fixed up. --ag

Old 08-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bernball
I would be very interested in the forum's input on this and any other suggestions. Thanks.
Maybe have a look in this topic area, just down the topic list:

are you still having rear tire wear issues a year after upper control arm replacement

I had suggested this site, where someone wrote the adjustable arms could be cheaper from Tirerack. Good luck.

http://performance-suspension.eibach.com/

PRO-ALIGNMENT Kit # 5.67470K

Footnotes: Camber Arm. Rear - Camber +/-3.0 Degrees Of Adjustment.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast

The dealership will charge $290 to replace the control arms which comes in a little cheaper than the Eibach kit (before installation). This is such a hose job by Honda but I need to get it done or I will spend more than that by having to prematurely buy new tires.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

The dealership will charge $290 to replace the control arms which comes in a little cheaper than the Eibach kit (before installation). This is such a hose job by Honda but I need to get it done or I will spend more than that by having to prematurely buy new tires.
Sometimes the factory arms do not work. Check to make sure your shop uses the new alignment specifications, as per the TSB. The only fix in this case is to replace the rear springs along with the arms. I hope this is not the case with you car, as it's an extra expense they will ding you with. I know this 1st hand as the new arms did not fix my '07 HCH. My dealer would not replace the springs. If I can remember correctly the camber can be no greater than -1.5 degress. Mine were -1.6 degress only out -.1 degress but the tires wore like crazy.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by starman
Sometimes the factory arms do not work. Check to make sure your shop uses the new alignment specifications, as per the TSB. The only fix in this case is to replace the rear springs along with the arms. I hope this is not the case with you car, as it's an extra expense they will ding you with. I know this 1st hand as the new arms did not fix my '07 HCH. My dealer would not replace the springs. If I can remember correctly the camber can be no greater than -1.5 degress. Mine were -1.6 degress only out -.1 degress but the tires wore like crazy.
So that would make the Eibach kit more preferable because they are adjustable I guess.

Update 02_11_2014: In Sept. 2010, I purchased Honda's replacement control arms and installed them myself (actually quite simple). I installed my new set of tires, had the car aligned, and have had NONE of the excessive wear issues, difficulties w/the alignment, etc. Additionally, I've submitted my claim for the HCH II settlement class action lawsuit, so I should recover the cost of the control arms and my well-documented tire replacements.

Last edited by bernball; 02-11-2014 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 09-09-2010, 05:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

So that would make the Eibach kit more preferable because they are adjustable I guess.
Get a second opinion by talking to someone at an independent alignment shop. Ask questions to see what is best for you. They might have a better solution other than the factory arms or the Eibach kit.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

When Honda installed the C upper control arms in my 2006 new springs where also required. H