HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Aftermarket GPS questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:14 PM
hypermiler wannabe
Default Here's my 2¢

Civic w/ Nuvi 360

I favor the Garmin units (I've got an older one in my Ody) and chose a Nuvi 360 for the Civic. I like the idea of having some sort of Navi system, so when I lost my iPod, the Nuvi was a reasonable choice. It's a handy GPS/Nav unit w/ nifty 3-D birdseye view, it has an MP3 player that will read from my 2Gb SD card, and its got a very acceptable Bluetooth Hands-free phone option. I paid $530 for the unit and card, shipping and tax from Costco. That's a bit expensive for a toy, but since it does three things fairly well, its a good choice if you're shopping in the $500 range.

Here's an overview w/ pictures on my site:
http://www.davidwells.com/cars/civic_nuvi/

Old 07-12-2007, 04:14 AM
HypoFueler
Default Re: Here's my 2¢

Originally Posted by davidwells

Civic w/ Nuvi 360

I favor the Garmin units (I've got an older one in my Ody) and chose a Nuvi 360 for the Civic. I like the idea of having some sort of Navi system, so when I lost my iPod, the Nuvi was a reasonable choice. It's a handy GPS/Nav unit w/ nifty 3-D birdseye view, it has an MP3 player that will read from my 2Gb SD card, and its got a very acceptable Bluetooth Hands-free phone option. I paid $530 for the unit and card, shipping and tax from Costco. That's a bit expensive for a toy, but since it does three things fairly well, its a good choice if you're shopping in the $500 range.

Here's an overview w/ pictures on my site:
http://www.davidwells.com/cars/civic_nuvi/
Nice setup - I "hung" my old I5 fromthe right hand driver air vent- good for view - not so sturdy...

when you used the suction mount did you use the adhesive plastic disc as well for the suction base?

Old 07-13-2007, 10:06 AM
hypermiler wannabe
Default Re: Here's my 2¢

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
Nice setup - I "hung" my old I5 fromthe right hand driver air vent- good for view - not so sturdy...

when you used the suction mount did you use the adhesive plastic disc as well for the suction base?
Thanks!

Yes, I briefly looked at a vent-hanger, but didn't want to cover my precious airflow and it did swing a bit.

The install shown in the photos is temporary as the suction-cup mount is 'attached' to a CD jewel case. I intent to use the permanent 'ring' and attach it to the angled part of the bin (if it sits flush) Plan B would be a RAM stalk mount (gently) screwed into the bin.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket GPS questions

Originally Posted by Sorsha
I was so disappointed to find out that I could not get the Navi installed with the factory look..

So i too have started looking into the portable ones since my honda dealership wants $3,000 to put one in the dash and it doesnt even have voice commands.
I have the voice navi option and I find that voice command technology to be very frustrating and you can probably live without it.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:15 PM
HypoFueler

Yeah, dont know if voice commands are top of my feature list either.

Does anyone know of or use a gps that displays altitude/elevation on it (for cars, not airplanes )?

Old 07-16-2007, 12:27 PM
HOV lane commuter
Thumbs up Re: Aftermarket GPS questions

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
Does anyone know of or use a gps that displays altitude/elevation on it (for cars, not airplanes )?
I know the Magellan Maestro 4040 and 4050's that I've used show this as part of your location: Click on the top left "direction" (N, S, etc.) box on the screen and it displays long, lat, street location, nearest cross streets, compass heading, speed and elevation.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast

Does anyone know of or use a gps that displays altitude/elevation on it
I am happily using a TomTom ONE, and while the stock unit does not display altitude, there are a couple of free third-party apps that do. The ability to customize the unit with these add-ons makes it very attractive to me.

If you just want a straight GPS navigator (i.e. you don't need a built-in mp3 player, hands-free cell phone connection, etc.), then the ONE is a good economical choice.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
In Canada we do not get the Navi option at all .
That's because there are only 3 roads in Canada (j/k, both my folks are from the Interlake Region of Manitoba)

Old 07-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

LOL

Now, seriously: The MAIN reason why they do not offer the Navi for the Honda lineup in Canada is because that option is exclusive to the Acura CSX (which is NOT available in the US).

Nevertheless, exploring the second largest country in the world with a GPS is far easier for some folks than the alternatives.

MSantos

Old 07-19-2007, 09:04 PM
HypoFueler

ok, down the road, we should agree on the "best" aftermarket gps (and mount) for our HCH2 then make a group purchase.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket GPS questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands