HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Air Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default Air Filter Replacement

I just bought a K&N Replacement filter for my 07 HCH but have absolutely no idea how to install it. If anyone can help me out i would really appreciate it. Thanks

Old 06-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Air Filter Replacement

Looking at the engine, it's a square box about the size of the filter on the driver side of the compartment, follow the large air ducts (round, black tubes) to it. 4 clips hold it closed and just pop open. I'm not sure if the K&N is any different than my OEM filter but it was pretty clear which way to install it. Hope this helps, I'm not a Mr. Goodwrench by any means.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated

Old 06-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Thumbs Down on K&N filters

I have to recommend against installing the K&N type filters. This is based on my experiences with this type of filter in other cars.

The primary reason is that K&Ns use a oil moistened filter element for particulate screening. It is a touchy process to get the right amount of oil on the filter. Too little, and the filtering capabilities of the K&N are diminished. Too much, and the excess oil gets sucked off the filter, and can coat the MAF sensor (mass airflow sensor), and can trigger a fault and turn on the check engine light. The MAF is usually damaged, and has to be replaced.

There is no evidence that can support the claim of better gas mileage using one of these filters, and the potential for trouble is greater than the potential for better efficiency.

These magic airfilters simply are not effective.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thumbs Down on K&N filters

I just ordered one..from what I hear you clean it with an oil based spray. Obviously..if you drench it and dont let it dry it will damage sensors. Installation should be pretty easy. Im still keeping my old one, because when you clean the K&N air filter it needs to air dry before replacing it.

At the very least i wont be spending money on air filter replacements.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I thought K&N offered replacement filters, not just CAI kits. If it's just a replacement air filter, it should look identical to the OEM filter. If you are talking about replacing the entire induction system with a K&N CAI kit, then that's a different story.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

K & N's have been wrongly hyped on the dyno. While they do let more air in, it's hence less filtered. And the increased HP on the dyno doesn't work out in real life, because on the dyno, the hood is open (cool air), but driving, it's closed, hence more hot air sucked in, hence less dense, less oxygenated, less power, less mpg.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Witch

Everyone has their opinion on K&N.

Here is what I have personally found as fact
2001 Lincoln LS W/stock filter = 257.6 HP on Dyno
Same day with K&N filter = 259.2 HP
This was my car and there were at least 30 witnesses as this was a Mustang gathering and everyone wanted to know. Most were upset that my 3.9 Liter put out the same numbers as their 4.6 liter Mustangs.

Here is the other thing I have found as fact
My commute is relatively the same every single day. The weather here for the past several weeks has been the same. Before I put my K&N in my 06, my best tank was 58.8 with the cruise control set to 60 the whole time. Now under the same circumstances, I just got a 62.2 MPG tank on the heels of a 60.8.

Take it for what it is.

BTW, it does not take a rocket scientest to figure out how much oil to put on one. You only need to know how to read instructions and have a little common sense. Remember, more is not always a better thing. You need put only enough on to turn the gauze red. no more, no less.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Witch

Originally Posted by TheBundo
K & N's have been wrongly hyped on the dyno. While they do let more air in, it's hence less filtered. And the increased HP on the dyno doesn't work out in real life, because on the dyno, the hood is open (cool air), but driving, it's closed, hence more hot air sucked in, hence less dense, less oxygenated, less power, less mpg.
Are you serious?

On a dyno, yes the hood is open but there is no forward motion. All of the air getting sucked into the filter is hot air surrounding your engine. Some shops use big fans to help, but do you seriously think that a couple of fans with the hood up is going to give a better charged air intake over 60 MPH on the road with all of the air being forced into a single area?

There is absolutely no logic to your claim.

I suppose you would have a point if all you ever did was put your car on a dyno with the hood closed and never actually drove it on the road.

You do understand that HP is only good when you are actually in motion???

Old 06-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by tylers65
Are you serious?
Maybe, maybe not. At this point, I've written Bundo off as a troll.

Quick Reply: Air Filter Replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands