HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Am I paranoid, or did they lie?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Am I paranoid, or did they lie?

I brought my HCH-II in to my dealership for maintenance a few weeks ago. When I brought it in, I specifically told the guy at the counter, that I wanted Mobil-1 0W.

When I was called to the counter because my car was done, I checked the receipt, and it said "5W-20". So, I asked him- "Is this right?" He said, "Yes, we changed the oil." I said "I asked for 0 weight, and the car specifically has on the cap, to use 0 weight oil."

He said, "hold on", went in the back room, came back a minute later and said "Yeah, they used the right one. The selection for it is right next to the other one in the computer. Here, let me take that, and I'll print you out the right one." Then while he was printing it out, he went on with what seemed to be a dog and pony show, talking about how difficult it is to find 0W-20 oil, and how many places don't even normally carry it. Yeah, I know- that's why I mentioned it on the phone when I made the appointment a week before, but I'd figure that a Honda Dealership, would carry what they need to do a service correctly.

I thought I was supposed to see an improvement A) after the first oil change and especially B) after putting synthetic Mobil1 0W in. Instead, it feels like the car's more 'sluggish', I'm seeing a decrease of about 10-15mpg, and I think I've been having to push my RPMs higher than normal to go the same speeds as I was before.

So, does anyone think I'm being paranoid for thinking that they messed up, or just didn't bother because they didn't have the right oil, and don't want to fess up?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 02-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Am I paranoid, or did they lie?

Oh, I haven't checked my tire pressure since the maintenance. I'll check that next time its a little warmer outside, but I don't think it would have that much of an impact though.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Energy Independence

At the Honda dealership, I bet they used their own 0W20, or else their own 5W20.
I find it unlikely that they would use anything else. I don't usually see Mobil One (or any non-Honda branded oil) at a Honda dealership.
Do any of you other guys get (or even SEE) non-Honda oil at the Honda dealership?

Old 02-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'd lay money that they didn't use Mobil 1. I also wouldn't expect them to. They're only going to use Honda oil unless you take the Mobil 1 in for them. If you can, see if you can get them to let you talk to one of the mechanics. Tell him that you're not sure if you got what you wanted (and what is specified), and ask him if they have 0W20 in stock, and if he can give his opinion on whether it was used for your oil change.

If you're still not satisfied, call the service manager and explain. Tell him/her that you understand the 0W20 requirement is fairly new, and that they don't probably get that many hybrids for service so the mistake is understandable, but you are concerned that you may have been given 5W30 and your car is now more sluggish. See if you can get a free oil change out of it, then ask for proof that they used 0W20. Most dealerships will at least try to make you happy, though I'm sure there are those who will not.

Good luck.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:30 AM
F**k ExxonMobil

Originally Posted by toast64
I'd lay money that they didn't use Mobil 1. I also wouldn't expect them to. They're only going to use Honda oil unless you take the Mobil 1 in for them. If you can, see if you can get them to let you talk to one of the mechanics. Tell him that you're not sure if you got what you wanted (and what is specified), and ask him if they have 0W20 in stock, and if he can give his opinion on whether it was used for your oil change.

If you're still not satisfied, call the service manager and explain. Tell him/her that you understand the 0W20 requirement is fairly new, and that they don't probably get that many hybrids for service so the mistake is understandable, but you are concerned that you may have been given 5W30 and your car is now more sluggish. See if you can get a free oil change out of it, then ask for proof that they used 0W20. Most dealerships will at least try to make you happy, though I'm sure there are those who will not.
good idea. as a backup plan, you could get the oil analyzed by "blackstone" (or something similar) that does it by mail.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I personally didn't see any improvement (mileage, or otherwise) from changing to Mobil 1 0W-20. And I did the oil change myself so I know what went into it. It felt pretty much the same as it did with the original Honda break-in oil.

Eric

Old 02-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yeah, if anything they put in Honda 0W-20... as for you feeling the car more sluggish... it's all in your mind. Especially after seeing the ticket showing 5W. Anyway, because I trust nobody, I bring them 0W-20 and Mobil M1-110 oil filter. That way I know exactly what's in the car.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone.

Maybe I am just being paranoid. Since I confronted the guy at the desk (who I think was the parts manager) and he's the one who told me they put in the right stuff, asking him otherwise would probably be silly now. The drop in mpgs could be due to the drop in temps we've been seeing the past few weeks.

Oddly enough though, they actually do have an advertisement sign for "Mobil 1 oil" sitting on their counter, so at least they carry some sort of Mobil 1- you'd think.

Regardless, I'll be sure to bring my own next time.
- Steve

Last edited by mogryph; 02-19-2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

If you haven't checked your tire pressure yet, do so. The dealership always drops mine to 30 PSI or whatever the recommended value is, and at that pressure I don't get good mileage. When I return it to 38-40 PSI, I get 10% or more better mileage.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I do my own oil changes between service intervals.

I hand them the exact amount of Mobile1 0W 20 when there are service intervals.
That way they can't overfill.
I make them document it in the computer and get a copy.

Quick Reply: Am I paranoid, or did they lie?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands