HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

B1 maintenance - how much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default B1 maintenance - how much?

My '06 is now over 15k miles and hasn't even had its first birthday yet... The dealer service dept quoted $300 for this maintenance (oil/filter, something involving the brakes, and a ton of other stuff). Supposed to take 2-3 hours overall. Anyone else have any experience with regard to how much this cost? I paid ~$80 for the A1, but I seem to recall that rotating/balancing the tires accounted for $40.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: B1 maintenance - how much?

"A" service is an oil change
"B" service us oil and filter, and check a bunch of items (front & rear brakes, brake lines/hoses, parking brake - and adjust if needed, inspect tie-rod ends, steering wheel gear box, CV boots, suspension, fuel lines, exhaust system).

"1" is to rotate tires.
"2" is to change air filter, pollen filter, inspect drive belt
"3" is to change tranny fluid
"4" is to change spark plugs and inspect valve clearance
"5" is to change anti-freeze

It's mostly basic stuff. Honda wants to make more money doing the "check/inspect" things and charge a bunch for them. But I'd still take it to them for the first "B" service, just in case.

The B1 service should take 2 hours labor MAX. Probably about 1 hour, actually, as most of the checks are done WHILE rotating the tires and changing the oil.

Quotes for B1 service in the DFW (Texas) area:
David McDavid Honda of Irving: $121.95
John Eagle Honda: $98.95
Lute Riley Honda: $167.18

You can see the variety (maybe Lute does more, I didn't ask!), but none of my likely choices are NEAR $300.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Heh - I saw 15k miles just 5 days shy of my car's 3-month birthday!!! I've also only seen the A1 reminder so far through 23k miles in 23 weeks. Is the B1 reminder based on days or miles? I've only had the oil changed twice (8k and 17k) and tires were rotated four times with the 12.6k step being the change to winter tires (3.5k, 8.0k, 12.6k, 17.1k, and 23.2k). I just dropped down to 40% oil life at 6k miles on the previous oil change and just like the previous intervals I go down about 10% for every 1,000 miles I drive - just like clockwork.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

Gumby-
Thanks so much for the info. I called another dealer (Russell & Smith) and was quoted $120 so I'm taking it there instead. The rep reeled off the same list of services as far as I could tell, possibly with the exception of the complimentary car wash that Gillman Honda offers.

Flash-
I'm guessing the maint minder is based partly on time since you've already made 23k, and I'm not quite at 16k. My only previous reminder was an A1.

On a side note, my dad bought his Accord at R&S and raved about his experience. I had a pretty lousy buying experience at Gillman but had always assumed it was much closer to my house. This morning, I checked a mapping engine and now realize that the extra distance is marginal (2.5 miles). Guess where all my business is going from now on...?

Old 01-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Maintenance Lists published somewhere

Does anyone know of a site that has the official maintenance lists for the Civic?

Old 01-20-2007, 12:05 PM

If you signed up for Honda OwnerLink then you can look at what is involved in any service. I don't think mileage is listed on purpose like many of our older cars had (i.e. change oil every 3k-5k miles, replace drive belt every 30k miles, etc.) because the engine monitors things like engine revs and usage to determine the oil life % so you just wait until the reminder illuminates.

Maintenance Minder A:
Replace engine oil

Maintenance Minder B: Replace engine oil and oil filter and ...
  • Inspect front and rear brakes
  • Check parking brake adjustment
  • Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
  • Inspect suspension components
  • Inspect driveshaft boots
  • Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
  • Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
  • Inspect exhaust system#
  • Inspect fuel lines and connections (See information on maintenance and emissions warranty on page 185 of your owner's manual)
Maintenance Minder 1: Rotate tires

Maintenance Minder 2: Replace air cleaner element, replace dust and pollen filter, and inspect drive belt

Maintenance Minder 3: Replace transmission fluid

Maintenance Minder 4: Replace spark plugs and inspect valve clearance

Maintenance Minder 5: Replace engine coolant

Independent of the maintenance minder display, replace the brake fluid every 3 years. Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km). Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 only if they are noisy.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

Just a quick follow-up. The total ran $130. And the car was washed, too.

Rained all day yesterday so I got to test the new wiper inserts immediately. The improvement was quite obvious as the blades had been dragging across the windshield earlier in the week, making this horrible squeaking noise. After the service, the wipers were nice and quiet.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My B1 service will cost me about $25. That's the cost of the oil, filter and oil drain plug washer. I do all my own work.

I absolutely HATE letting dealers touch my cars. As such, no dealer has ever done a maintenance item for me. Only a few times have I needed warranty work. I cringe during those repairs, knowing that I'll have to tidy up the repair work, clean up the grease marks, etc. Just wish they could give me the parts and let me do it myself!

About the only thing I can't handle on my own would be wheel alignment or body work (I just plain stink at body work!).

Old 01-21-2007, 10:06 PM

So can anyone confirm if the wipers are good for about a year's time? I'm at almost 24k miles since August and have encountered no issues with the wipers in rain or snow/ice so I imagine it is more of a time issue than amount of use. Similarly, has anyone found winter inserts for our wipers?

Old 01-22-2007, 04:47 AM
Joe Go Slow!

I'm sitting in the guest lounge at Autopark Honda in Cary, NC right now while B1 is being done. Their quote was $102 including tax.

Quick Reply: B1 maintenance - how much?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands