HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Bablateration

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 05:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bablateration

just imagine if I had enough self control to avoid the "lil racetrack".

Old 10-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast

another tank of 93. lets see if I can avoid the temptation. Updates to come!

Old 12-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast

So far everything is as expected and I am pleased. Still trying to improve mpg but still zippin around.... averaged like 80-90 mph on the highway over Thanksgiving.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

i believe that higher octane fuels actually contain less energy per gallon. Something about the longer carbon chains that make it harder to ignite also don't give off as much energy for the volume or something. I cant remember the specifics. Bottom line is that higher octane doesnt mean better performance for every car. And the cars it does mean better performance for its only because the fuel resists pre-ignition (detonation) as others have said.

The civic doesnt have an issue with detonation running lower octane fuel so there is no reason at all to run the more expensive gas. Its probably not going to hurt your engine, but it will hurt your wallet and not help your gas mileage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#Octane_rating

Old 12-06-2006, 06:19 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. I will stay with the 93 and tell you all IF I have problems. I've put 93 in all of my vehicles since I began driving/riding and its a hard not to automatically reach for the right pump or push the right button. Plus we never know when I will make a trip to the miniracetrack or smoke me a prius().

Old 12-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry to say, any Prius will smoke YOU. They have a better 60hp electric motor to help out their 1+ sec. better 0-60mph time. And I'm with everyone else here on the fuel type too. The only way to benefit performance wise from 93oct would be if you were able to increase timing as 93oct can handle farther advanced timing (due to slower burn). THAT is where any power would be. The only time ANY car actually uses its knock sensor is below a certain RPM (used mostly for cruising)..on my v6 mazda it's under 3k rpm. Anything over that and timing is set to a timing map that doesn't change.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

Yea yea, I was only jokin bout smokin a Prius but nothings impossible. All sorts of variables to racing. Anyways my BRYD is getting a diet of 93 for now, just for ***** and giggles.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

Another tank logged. My highest tank mpg yet. 49.5 over 528.6 miles. Very satisfied with the way things are going.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast

Not bad at all...you're lucky you've got the warmer temps helpin you out some. Just filled up today with 596 miles and 52mpg. Temps here are averaging 40s and soon to be colder

Old 12-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast

I've also noticed that Autostop does engage while in Neutral on my car.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands