HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Battery cover recall -- Thinking cap time!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery cover recall -- Thinking cap time!

First off, it didn't actually reset the mileage. Only the MPG info. (This is what had me confused!)

Secondly, re the 9volt battery trick - in my case it was not the 12v battery that was disconnected ... it was the big battery behind the seat. (Sorry, I'm not very technical, I know there is a better name for it). So would that work in this case?

I called the service guy who handled my recall and complained about this. I asked if they had any computer interface to the mpg info so that they could put it back in at the correct mpg (since I know that it was 44.6 at 7521 miles) but he swears that there is no way to do that. (I thought there might have been after reading some people's experience with the odometer resetting after the 62 mile bug fixes).

Old 03-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Opec Nightmare
Lightbulb Re: Battery cover recall -- Thinking cap time!

The other thing to keep in mind is when they disconnect the battery so they can safely do the work and then reconnect the battery after doing the work, service direction #20 states, "With the trans. in P, start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3500 RPM until the IMA battery level indicator shows 50% or more charge."

This is why the mpg is so low after the job is complete.

We are scheduled to have ours fixed next Tue, March 6th. Any suggestions?

Old 03-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bear15
The other thing to keep in mind is when they disconnect the battery so they can safely do the work and then reconnect the battery after doing the work, service direction #20 states, "With the trans. in P, start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3500 RPM until the IMA battery level indicator shows 50% or more charge."

This is why the mpg is so low after the job is complete.

We are scheduled to have ours fixed next Tue, March 6th. Any suggestions?
Yes, you're right! As I stated, my mileage was 7.2 mpg!! Makes perfect sense.
Two suggestions. The first one you've already figured out - if you want your mpg (l/100km) info, write it down before you give it to them!
Second, just today I had someone ride in my backseat for the first time since I had it done. He grabbed the seatbelt to put it on, and ended up holding the end of the seatbelt along with the bolt that attaches into the frame at the seatback. When the mechanic reinstalled the seatback, he/she forgot to bolt the seatbelts back in place! Now I've either got to do it myself, or take it back to them to get it fixed. I think I'll take it back, since I don't know the torque specifications for the bolts, don't know if I'll have to take the seat out again to get to the bolt holes, and frankly am too lazy to try to find the info. Anyway, check the seatbelts and everything else in the back seat over before you drive away.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Opec Nightmare
Exclamation Re: Battery cover recall -- Thinking cap time!

We had ours done on Tuesday. At first they said they could use the battery saver, but later they changed their mind. We had the same problem as everyone else.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:05 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

so how should we handle this on the database, add it as is with an asterix, or just not enter this tank?

Old 03-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well....just do the real trip calculation.....miles driven divided by the gas you put in your tank upon fillup.

It's not surprising that the milage is stored differently. Odometer data is very important to pricing a car... a trip odometers MPG readout is for all intents and purposes useless. The odometers wouldn't reset, or you could just unplug your battery before you sold your car (I know the trip odometers are different from the main odometer, but it makes sense they store all odometers equally).

Really, in the scheme of things, does it matter?

Old 03-09-2007, 07:02 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

Originally Posted by JordanCS
Well....just do the real trip calculation.....miles driven divided by the gas you put in your tank upon fillup.
ha! of course.
matt (slaps his forehead)

Old 03-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Ahh.. finally back from a 2-week trip overseas Notes to what's been said since
- 9V battery in the cigarette lighter... neat trick!
- Bear, recharging the battery would be enough to explain why my 'A' odo was in the crapper. But with over 5000mi on the 'B', that just doesn't hold. With the tank now about 2/3 complete, they're still in perfect sync.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think when they reset the maintenance minder / oil life, it reset the mpg's to zero

Old 03-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by TheBundo
I think when they reset the maintenance minder / oil life, it reset the mpg's to zero
No. Resetting the maintenance minder does not reset the trip odo or associated mpg calculation (I've done this reset personally, so don't go telling me I'm wrong). Also, the battery recall does not have an associated maintenance minder code, so there's nothing to reset.