HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

DC Cap Recall for 2006 HCHII

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default DC Cap Recall for 2006 HCHII

Just got back from my dealer this morning to deal with an unrelated problem, but was told that there is (as of this post) a new recall on the 2006 HCHII. It's listed cryptically as a "DC Cap." Anybody else hear this? Honda has yet to ship the replacement part to the So. California area.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default DC Cap Recall for 2006 HCHII

Could this be it?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: DC Cap Recall for 2006 HCHII

Likely one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor
Question is, where is it, and what's it responsible for? If it's a big power cap, it'll play a major role in power flow between the IMA and the battery. If it's a little filter cap, it could be responsible for protecting the NiMH batteries from excessive ripple current. Regardless, time to bring our kiddies in.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Honda Recalls 45,000 Sedans

UPDATED: 9:02 am EST February 9, 2007

TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. plans to recall 45,335 Civic Hybrid sedans worldwide to repair an electrical defect that could stop the cars' engines, a company spokeswoman said Friday.

Japan's No. 2 automaker plans to recall 7,219 of the vehicles sold domestically and another 38,116 sold overseas, mostly in the U.S., a Honda spokeswoman said on condition of anonymity, citing company policy.

Honda learned about the defective voltage converters -- which could cause a short circuit that would stop the engine and prevent it from restarting -- from overseas reports, the company said in documents filed Thursday with the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport.

Honda has received no reports of accidents related to the defect, the documents said. The affected vehicles were manufactured between September 2005 and September 2006, they said.

In Japan, Honda plans to notify affected vehicles' owners by mail and to repair the defective parts, the spokeswoman said.

The overseas recalls and repairs will be handled according to local laws, she said, without giving further details.

Honda also plans to recall 72,597 Elysion minivans due to defective sliding door locks, according to separate documents filed Thursday with the ministry. The model is sold only in Japan, the spokeswoman said.

Honda has received 27 complaints about the locks, but no reports of related accidents, the documents said.

The company plans to replace the defective locks on affected vehicles, manufactured between April 2004 and November 2006, they said.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/money/...10/detail.html

Last edited by HyMinded; 02-09-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

There is an article in Singapore newspaper today. 200 owners in Singapore affected.. but there is only 1 reported case of failure here, of which 1 rather big fella sat in the rear seat and broke the cap.....

According to the aritcle, the rear passenger seat will need to be dismantled, to gain access to the battery compartment for replacing the defective part.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

A significant IMA voltage conversion actually occurs in the DC-DC module located in the IPU (right in the middle of the rear back seat).

I would suspect that the entire module may have to be replaced - last time I checked it was highly integrated and not made of multiple parts at all.

Anyhow, this module generates a whole lot of heat because its is critical to the IMA Assist and Regen operations, so I wonder if this fact may be in part responsible for the failure and subsequent short by causing some form of thermal degeneration/failure of a component. It is probable I guess. If so, that would mean that folks who drive often in hot climates may be more at risk of a failure.

Anyway, I'll likely get it addressed at my first oil change (I'm still at 40%).

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast

Took my 06 HCH in today and the service guy noticed a recall. The recall was to replace a plastic battery cover. Maybe the dealer's system hasn't been update yet?

Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

If that is all there is to the recall then I do not have much to worry about in my case. I rarelly ever sit anyone in the back seat.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 02-09-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yup... what I read in the papers here is the same... they need to replace a "new insulator fitted to one of the battery terminals"..... but to gain access to it.. they just need to remove the back seats.

Doesn't sound like replacing a major component.

Not much worries for me too, I have only 2 toddlers sitting behind on child seats. They ain't that heavy...

Old 02-11-2007, 08:49 PM
HDH
Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the recall affects 2007 models or only 2006? Thanks.

Quick Reply: DC Cap Recall for 2006 HCHII

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands