HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Can you guess how far I've gone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can you guess how far I've gone?

Originally Posted by laurie
this is how far mine goes. i drove at least 30 miles after the last bar before i ran out. i had a small can in the trunk, since i wanted to see just how far i COULD push it. mine's an 05 with 5 speed:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...reply&p=130319

Dang! Great Job!
I think my tank goal needs to be 801.6 miles.

But then again I don't top it off so I'm not sure how much has I have in my tank.

Last edited by kenny; 06-18-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:14 AM

Kenny, if you keep going at your present rate you will make it, so don't fill-up until you do. Try the small can in the trunk !!! Maybe a trooper will come along and fill it for you, after you run out. Keep us posted.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 AM

I'd love to run out of gas and see how far I could go on a tank but I think it may damage the fuel pump or engine.

Plus I dont' top off the tank.

What I'd really like to know is how much gas is left when the low-fuel light comes on.
Then how much is left when the last LED bar goes out.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 AM
HypoFueler

wow that is superduper good Kenny.

Ill guess you'll refuel at 780mi (69 x 11.3), but I hope you make me wrong. I have run about 1 gal/50 miles after all the gas pips disappear.

At below 48mph, will you get the benefit of other vehicles actually pushing you along the highway?

And here I thought I was doing ok setting a personal best trip into work this AM - 64.2mpg indicated. Of course I was racing in at 65 and 55mph.

Last edited by spartybrutus; 06-18-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:31 AM

I allways think I might damage the fuel pump as well. It suddent hurt the engine ! The fuel pump should stop when you turn off the key. H

Old 06-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is a great post to show the potential of the HCH! I would never have the patience required to achieve these numbers, but it's nice to know some of us do. One of these days, I'm going to fill the gas tank to just below the vent, then do my best to keep the top speed around 55 mph, then photograph the final result.

I'm still going to use cruise control, though!

On that note, here's a test I'd like to see:

Get two HCH owners together and reset the trip meters. Then have both drivers run the same highway together, same distance, same speed -- one driver using cruise control, the other using hypermile techniques.

The only rules would be "no drafting" and "no lagging" (hypermiler would have to maintain speed +/- 2 mph -- no driving 25 up hills).

It might be more effort than it's worth, but it would give everyone a definitive number of how much more efficient foot technique is to cruise control. So far the only number I've seen posted is 3 mpg better for no cruise. If someone posted a better number, we all might forsake the c.c.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:16 PM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by 1stpik
This is a great post to show the potential of the HCH! I would never have the patience required to achieve these numbers, but it's nice to know some of us do. One of these days, I'm going to fill the gas tank to just below the vent, then do my best to keep the top speed around 55 mph, then photograph the final result.

I'm still going to use cruise control, though!

On that note, here's a test I'd like to see:

Get two HCH owners together and reset the trip meters. Then have both drivers run the same highway together, same distance, same speed -- one driver using cruise control, the other using hypermile techniques.

The only rules would be "no drafting" and "no lagging" (hypermiler would have to maintain speed +/- 2 mph -- no driving 25 up hills).

It might be more effort than it's worth, but it would give everyone a definitive number of how much more efficient foot technique is to cruise control. So far the only number I've seen posted is 3 mpg better for no cruise. If someone posted a better number, we all might forsake the c.c.
very interesting idea. i don't think i have used the cruise since i got the car. i generally drive 55-60 in the right lane. when i take the backroads home,, which i do most nights, i drive about 45, and i don't slow down much below that for the hills. and the route i take is quite hilly in spots, some places i can coast for over a mile.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:01 PM

I think the hypermiler's would win hands down? I'm a cc type myself. HM takes too much concentration.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:25 PM

Before you do this type of comparison, make sure both vehicles are equal in other areas... same tires, tire pressure, oil, air filter clean, etc.

Kenny... I've never had a problem with filling the tank well past the first click. Every tank I've had (30+) I've gone to at least one gallon over. The first 10 tanks I filled right up to the top of the filler neck (that's 1.8 gallons past first click... or an extra 128 miles at your present MPG!!!). As for running on empty, I've gone 30 miles past no bars... uncomfortably... but I've seen posts of folks who have gone 50 or more.

I've also seen posts from people who have run out of fuel. No ill effects from pump starvation, and best yet, the car was slow-speed driveable on electric only... for I believe at least 3 miles in one case. Kind of like "run out of gas insurance"

BTW, very impressive numbers! You mention MOST of the ideal conditions (temps, no hills, no a/c, speed at 48), but you missed one of the most important ones... the spouse factor! My wife could bring that 70.3 down to 49 in one short trip!

Good luck on 800.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:30 PM

I thought the reason we were not supposed to pump more after it shuts off is because that extra gas is higher than it is supposed to be.

I think it has something to do with evaporative emissions or that extra gas can evaporate or when gas is so high it is beyond some sensor, which makes that sensor not work or something.

Sorry I don't have an understanding of this.
I was just under this impression.

Anyone know, understand why we are not supposed to go beyond the first click?
To me the first click is always the last click.

Quick Reply: Can you guess how far I've gone?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands