HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Can you guess how far I've gone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can you guess how far I've gone?

Originally Posted by 1stpik
On that note, here's a test I'd like to see:

Get two HCH owners together and reset the trip meters. Then have both drivers run the same highway together, same distance, same speed -- one driver using cruise control, the other using hypermile techniques.

The only rules would be "no drafting" and "no lagging" (hypermiler would have to maintain speed +/- 2 mph -- no driving 25 up hills).

It might be more effort than it's worth, but it would give everyone a definitive number of how much more efficient foot technique is to cruise control. So far the only number I've seen posted is 3 mpg better for no cruise. If someone posted a better number, we all might forsake the c.c.
Unless it's a really long drive, I won't be using cruise control. I was able to do some freeway driving today. It was actually mostly on a toll road where the limit was 70 and minimum 50. A few times I got down to the minimum going up some hills, but I made sure I never got below 50. I was usually in the mid 50s, but I occasionally got up to the upper 50s. Anyway, my FE was 72.2 mpg over 28.9 miles.

Also, I do not FAS in this kind of driving. I have found that it is very harsh when re-engaging the transmission at higher speeds in the Honda Civic Hybrid.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:09 AM

John, can you do the same in the opposite direction?

Old 06-26-2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Harold
John, can you do the same in the opposite direction?
I will see. That last trip was to the airport, where the car is currently parked. I'll get back around midnight tomorrow and will report my return FE here.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:33 PM

OK. As I previously posted, my trip to the airport was 72.2 mpg over 28.9 miles. When I left my house, the car was almost fully warmed up and the temperature was about 90F. For the return drive, it was between 1 and 1:30AM this morning and the temperature was 62F. I managed 68.9 mpg for this return trip, which was 27.3 miles. The trip there was longer because of the way the road loops at the airport. The only times I turned the engine off were at the booth to pay for parking and in my neighborhood. Again, I didn't use cruise.

If the car was warmed up to begin with and the ambient temperature was higher, I would have expected better fuel economy from the return trip. The airport is a bit more than 100' higher in elevation. Also, my car seemed to be very charge happy for the return drive. At one point, I had an SOC of 8/8. I arrived home with 7/8.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:22 PM

I thought there must have been some down hill on the way to the airport, but guess not by your reture #. Those are great #'s. Boy do I have a long way to go! I just got back from 150 mile drive and managed only 50.9 mpg . Anyway great driving Mr. Kite and thanks for the return reply.