HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

"Cruise Control.. ..Usefull Option" ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default "Cruise Control.. ..Usefull Option" ????

Say Hey,

Just another rookie thought(s).

I've noticed not many mention "C-Control" as a real asset to gain the high numbers in the per gallon dept.

-Is it a consant viable ( 75% + of the time ) to some ????
-Installed/Used more for convience ????
-Best made use of when ????
-Just disreguard ????

My personal plan, to operate my new toy w/ the manual foot feed for at least 3 tank fulls before even seeing what the cruise may accomplish in its own right. Kinda figure it may take at least that to learn how to do some of the tricks pulled by others as stated here on "GH", and to see what may work the best for myself. Also, this gives me the time & miles required for a strong break-in period of the drive train ( never have been one to think swell on the 500 mile theory ). Opinions/Comments appreciated.

Thankx,

John

Old 10-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Cruise Control.. ..Usefull Option" ????

I've averaged 63.1 MPG over 16 tanks and use CC about 80% to 90% of the time at 53 MPH on fairly flat terrain.

YMMV.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Hybrid Nutbar

I've found that CC on rolling terrain is quite detrimental. It does not allow one to gain speed (increasing inertia) down the hill to help on the ascent up the next hill. On my specific commute (45 miles one way) I see that leaving the work to me is much more efficeint.

However, when I am on fairly flat terrain, the CC is quite a help. It does in fact keep the speed regulated well with a fairly high FE. The car itself, without excessive load for acceleration or speed maintinence up hills, is designed well for high FE.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

To echo the above, CC works very well in the HCH for maintaining speed. On flat ground, it's quite good, with hills, it works well, but is not the best for fuel economy (the same is true in any car, though in other cars you're not usually trying for the best FE).

In my job, which uses a lot of driving around town in 15-30 minute trips, I don't use CC very often. On long trips, even through PA and WV, with tons of hills, I use CC most of the time. Sure, I don't get the best FE I can on those trips, but I bought the car to be a good travel device, and get good milage as a bonus. I didn't buy the car to brag about FE numbers. It's the same reason I will always use A/C if it's hot, and why I won't drive 50mph on the highway (though I have slowed to about 67 from 72). I do a few of the hypermiling techniques that are easy and don't require annoying other drivers and don't annoy me.

In my opinion, what's the use in owning a super advanced technology vehicle if you're going to drive it like it's from the 70s (no A/C, no CC, etc)?

Old 10-20-2006, 06:44 AM
Proud owner HCHII
Default Speed Control thru Controlled Areas

I use my CC to keep within designated speed control sectors. It is so easy to let your speed creep up and then run foul of the law! I wouldn't own a car without it.