HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Crunched!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Enthused Enthusiast
Unhappy Crunched!

So.. we had a freak snowfall of about 3 inches the other day, and my wife, even going very slowly on her way to work.. slipped off the road sideways into a ditch and was stopped by a tree.

It's in the shop now, damages are at $4737.65 and about 20 days repair time.

Has anyone else had to have repair work like this done? And if so what should I look out for when I get it back?

Thanks all,

Limey

Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Crunched!

Brant:First thing I would do is install at least two snow tires on the front for as long as there is a chance of snow. You may be able to get by with good all season, but not the stock tire as your wife found out. Hope the repaires work out well for you. Good luck ,Hal

Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Enthused Enthusiast

Thanks Harold,

Yeah the snow is pretty much over now, I think that was the last of it for this year. The rule is that we don't drive the Civic in the snow, but that morning, there was no snow down where we live, but a few hundred feet up on the way to work she hit it and got too scared to turn around.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

2 snow tires in the front only is even more dangerous than having all seasons on all four. Yeah, it gets you going better from a stop but it will spin you out of control if you just steer or brake.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:16 PM

Try it and you may find out that is not the case! We tend to listen too much to sales people! I can't feel the dif., so I'm saving two for down the road in a few years. I tried 2 mths. with 4 snowies and 2 mths. with front only with the back end never loose. The only time I had problems was when the front could not steer do to slush on top of ice. The back had no problem! So for me two only! Hal

Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 PM

There was a video about snows on the front that MSantos posted (probably on cleanmpg.com but I forget for sure) where they were testing different combinations and the snow front/regular rear combo had some problems. However, they did the test on older cars and I don't think they had ABS which would be huge if you were braking in a corner.

I understand the theory that having snows in the front and regulars in the back isn't optimal, but it's good to see you haven't experienced problems with that setup. Those same sales people tell you to change your oil every 3,000 miles and we all know that's BS--it's probably similar logic with tires.

Edit: I think some of the reasoning about NOT using only two snows dates back to the rear wheel drive days. People were putting snows on their drive wheels and not able to turn or stop since they didn't have the same traction up front. This isn't as important when your front tires have snows and handle the power, the steering and 60%+ of the braking.

Oh, and sorry to hear about the booboo Limey--I hope they get it back into your hands quickly and in good-as-new condition!

Last edited by kristian; 03-04-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:56 PM

Snows in front / regular tires on rears = car in shop

;-)

Old 03-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

kristian

I think I found the post with the video here

I watched the videos and Holy S**t I will never put winters in the fronts only.
yeah, its dangerous but to each their own.

Last edited by KevinsTop; 03-06-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:24 PM

Two rear wheel stove bolts, come on!!! Their is no argueing that four winters are not the best but we do have better! We can add studs then you have the best. But for the average driver two winters will get you by safely. Most people get by with all season and they are not much better than summer tires. Then you can compare differant brands, it never ends. Blizzaks are about the best tire you can wear in the winter! Two good winters are way better than all season and 4 winters are the best other than studed winters. Hal

Old 03-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

so your saying the videos are wrong? I think they make a **** strong case against placing two winters in the front and 2 seasons in the back. Not only the test cars had longer stopping distances because only two tires really griped, but the rear of the car would swing out even in a straight line stop. I can only imagine how worse it is stopping in a turn... wait a minute, I know how it works too.

Like I said, to each their own an I hope people think a bit about the physics cause I would rather have a long but stable panic stop with all seasons on all 4's, than a long and out of control stop with two winters in the front.

ks

Quick Reply: Crunched!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands