HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Did I get ripped off on my 08?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Did I get raped on my 08?

I'm just glad that when I search on "Rape" here, I now get a response.

I don't know at what point the use of that word in that context became acceptable, but IMO it's tacky and disrespectful.

...anyway congrats on your car.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The word by definition is "an outrageous violation" quoted by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated.

There is an understanding that this word is now used for a more unacceptable practise by devaint people of our lower class society.

But nonetheless, this word is acceptable to use in this term to describe being over charged for a product that might go for less in other or same markets.

Sorry, noflash, but I do not see a problem with the wording this person choose to use here to express his concern.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Part Time Hybrids

I've never seen a car rape anyone. If you have been a victim of such abuse I would highly suggest bringing your case to the local authorities.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It's an offensive topic title. Besides, he gave his consent when he signed the papers, so unless he can prove he was intoxicated at the time...

Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Oh, man, this is gonna degenerate quickly! Let's forget the semantics of political correctness and just be cool.

DadyK paid a bit too much for the HCH. But considering his location, the price of gasoline, and the fact that Toyota is now selling more Prius hybrids than Ford is selling Explorers, consumer demand justifies a high price.

Besides, and extra grand or so will sound like chump change when gas goes to $5.

I dug up my sales paperwork from last year. My HCH came with tint and splash guards, but NO nav system. The OTD price (sales tax, tags, title, license, and DMV registration fees which are paid at the dealership in TX) came to $22,912.64.

At the time, I felt that I paid too much. Now, I couldn't care less. After 18,000 miles I'm averaging 47 mpg. That's why I bought the thing in the first place.

BTW, that TX policy of paying all the DMV fees at the dealership is excellent! You take care of everything at once, and the state mails you the license plates and tags. It sure beats waiting in line for hours!

Last edited by 1stpik; 01-15-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast

I agree with GotIng. 710 Credit should get you the 4.9% factory finance rate for 60 months. Keep in mind that the interest rate you qualify for has no bearing whether you purchase extra equipment/warrany's,etc. It's a game they play in the finance dept. to sell you extra goodies. There's a sign on the wall in the finance dept. that states the dealership may charge a fee to arrange financing. That fee is reflected in a higher finance rate. In other words there's the buy rate(the rate you qualify for) and the actual rate(the rate you agree to pay(higher)). Never finance through a car dealership unless it is through the factory's own financing and at a special discounted/below market rate.

That said. Over all you may have paid an extra 1k or so give or take a few hundred. That's only 1-2% of the overall cost of the vehicle over 100k miles when figuring purchase cost, insurance and fuel expenditures. So be happy, and do better next time with all you've learned.

Dave

Old 01-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast

ok, thanks to all that have given actual feedback regarding the pricing of the vehicle. And to all the people whining about me using the word "rape", if you've actually been raped, I appologize, but if your just whining to sound self rightous then get over yourself, everyone else knows what I meant by it. Worry more about saving the earth and not as much about being politically correct. Also, honda wasnt advertising the 4.9 at the time and my credit is about 700 and yes I got financed directly through Honda..i'd never trust a dealerships financing otherwise. I guess most of you have a point about losing 1k or so up front because I'll make it up over the long run, its just i hate giving the dealers any xtra $, most are shady.

thanks to all

Old 01-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Enthusiast

Wow, if you got raped by a civic hybrid, would you have little insights? If it was by a TCH would you have little Prius's?

You did fine with the car if you are happy. I got a quote at Penske Honda in Ontario, CA for $25,564. Still might get it. I am trying to choose between the Camry and the Civic Hybirds. But I have searched for weeks and gone back and forth with 7 dealerships. lots of work for that price, but lots of money saved.

Like the others said, it all depends on your market and level of negotiation skill and patience.

Enjoy the car and don't worry about the price. If you paid $1,000 more than you should have, you'll save that in gas in year 1.

I will say this about the financing rate...what that dealer did was flat out BS. If you qualify for the lower rate, the car should not have made a difference. The only reason they did that was because they made more on the accessories they sold you so they gave up some of the "back office" money in the finance rate. I am not too sure that their practice or requiring you to spend more money was legal; it was certainly not ethical.

Last edited by Fooshe; 01-18-2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: afterthought.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast

It's perfectly legal and that is the "fee" as disclosed on the wall by law in the finance dept office. The "fee" is the right to "jack-up" or "play" with the rate in order to then drop it down a little bit to get you to buy accessories. Or, they keep it higher and get a kickback from the financing company.

It's not ethical at all. And it's one of the things that bothered me as a car salesman in the past. I would warn buyers when I sent them to finance not to let them play with the rate, or play games at all.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Originally Posted by Fooshe
Wow, if you got raped by a civic hybrid, would you have little insights?
Where did you think the global hybrid for 09 comes from? One night the civic got drunk, went over to see Fit and well...

Quick Reply: Did I get ripped off on my 08?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands