HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Did I get ripped off on my 08?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Did I get ripped off on my 08?

I got the same car as you in Illinois for $24,900 plus the State of Illinois wrote me a check for $1000. A rebate, so really the car cost $23,900 bottom line with NAV.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Did I get raped on my 08?

Originally Posted by 1stpik
Oh, man, this is gonna degenerate quickly! Let's forget the semantics of political correctness and just be cool.

DadyK paid a bit too much for the HCH. But considering his location, the price of gasoline, and the fact that Toyota is now selling more Prius hybrids than Ford is selling Explorers, consumer demand justifies a high price.

Besides, and extra grand or so will sound like chump change when gas goes to $5.

I dug up my sales paperwork from last year. My HCH came with tint and splash guards, but NO nav system. The OTD price (sales tax, tags, title, license, and DMV registration fees which are paid at the dealership in TX) came to $22,912.64.

At the time, I felt that I paid too much. Now, I couldn't care less. After 18,000 miles I'm averaging 47 mpg. That's why I bought the thing in the first place.

BTW, that TX policy of paying all the DMV fees at the dealership is excellent! You take care of everything at once, and the state mails you the license plates and tags. It sure beats waiting in line for hours!

Back in 2006, I got my new 2006 HCH2 for a total of 24,200 without nav and a couple of extras, including all the tax title license etc. So on the high side. The catch was at the time you had a wait list for delivery--mine came straight off of the truck while I was watching. After the downpayment, the leftover was financed at a local bank ( I never bring multiple financial deal aspects to the same dealer at the same transaction) for 5 % even.

The catch was that one more repair on my Volvo would have been more costly than haggling around even over a thousand dollars. I had to get out of that car given its 19 MPG around town and huge repair bills every 4 months or so.

In retrospect, given the 1500 a year in gas savings and 2000 a year savings in repair bills thusfar, from a cash flow standpoint inclusive of the monthly payment, the car is free and then some. I got the full tax credit as well, which, when added to the sale price of the Volvo, really made the car as close to free as you can get.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Did I get ripped off on my 08?

I purchased my 08 a month ago w/o navi for $2K below MSRP, but they did get me on the warranty(7 years/120,000mi), alarm & safeguard package ($3K). Financing at 4.9%. Don't worry about what you paid, we all get that buyer's remorse. Enjoy your car!