HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Disappointed

Apparently your salesman didn't tell you that mileage would be relatively low during the break-in period. Check the histories for both our cars -- the 1st tanks were the worst.

Meanwhile, air your tires up to 40 psi or so and start implementing the "hypermiling" techniques discussed here. Your MPG will improve.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:31 AM
PCK
Active Enthusiast

Here are techniques you can try. Gentle Accelerations - normally I try to keep
my rpms between 1500 and 2000 on hway driving.
When you reach hway speed ease up on gas pedal and try to see what the lowest
RPM you can get to maintain that speed, if you do that you should see the
the improvement in the instant MPG gauge. In the stop & go traffic try to leave
a larger gap between yourself and car in front, that way you can roll longer
opposed to quick braking.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Personally I get only 35ish so I feel in the same boat. I however don't drive very conservative. The main reason for owning this thing is the economy and carpool advantage. If it wasn't for carpool I probably would have made another choice. The gutless aspect is another negative for me. This is not my only car so I'm not too concerned about it. I'm sure you'll grow to like it more.

This may sound like a stupid question but... are you by any chance driving with the transmission shifter on S instead of D?

I agree with others that it is VERY difficult to get less than 40mpg on the highway. Heck, my first tank netted me 48 mpg in what is 80% City driving. My second tank is looking much better thanks to the awesome tips on this site as well as www.cleanmpg.com.

Also, as many have mentioned, we don't have to drive like "grandma" at all - I think that is actually dangerous! For safety and practical purposes it is mostly about safely keeping up with traffic (preferably within legal limits) while using one or more of the better known FE techniques.

Please check out this article and use at least ONE of the techniques- preferably one that you feel most confortable with.

Tarabell's article

I can almost guarantee you'll notice some positive results. If that works for you, why not try a few others?

For many of us that have done so it is alot of fun.

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 07-19-2006 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Spelling errors :(
Old 07-19-2006, 11:09 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Re: Disappointed

Slackandsteel,

Hang in there. It will get better. My worst tank was 40.0 mpg in the winter. My lifetime is now just over 50. My best tank was 62.3 mpg and I went 700.5 miles on that tank. I recently had a short trip of 44 miles. I made 84.0 mpg and improved the tank average (200 miles on this tank) by 5 mpg. I've had my HCH II for 6 months and I learned alot from this forum. I was pretty bummed about the mpg in the winter months, but now I'm amazed at what the car can do. I honestly feel that some of the driving techniques become automatic the more you practice them. I have my tires set at 51 lbs. I'm still learning from this site. Keep trying - the engine break - in is important.

Best wishes,

Old 07-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've been averaging ~45MPG driving in Silicon Valley since Nov 05 for 9000 miles. My recent road trip to LA and 4 X commute to Sonoma (100miles each way) in last two weeks, I netted 40.2MPG for three tanks - ~1800 total miles.

Average speed on Freeways ~70MPH, 2 Adults and 2 Children, ~95F, AC set at 72F.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
This may sound like a stupid question but... are you by any chance driving with the transmission shifter on S instead of D?

MSantos
Yea, I wish it was that simple and dumb on my part I just checked today and my recent mileage has dropped to the high 34's

Most of the driving is around town and when on the freeway I'm winding the thing out a bit(passing etc.) to get around faster. I don't use this car all that much so getting around quick is more of a priority.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slackandsteel
Srfcty - do you happen to live in Santa Cruz, CA (Santa Cruz, along with Huntington Beach, claims the title of Surf City)? I'm in Aptos (6 miles south).
Huntington Beach, baby

Old 07-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

What are the conditions of your drive?

Are there tons of hills and stoplights? Poor drivers around you (pulling in front of you/sudden stops/etc)? Does you car get a chance to run any length of time full warmed up? Do you try to conserve momentum?

Try to take your car out during a time when there is little traffic on a nice stretch of road and practice driving your car. It is a lot more than just turning a wheel and putting your foot on a couple pedals. You are a rookie, but with practice, you will be able to make the all-star team.

When I first bought my car, I went for a long drive. I learned how my HCH I wanted to be driven. I have saw sub-40s before, but the conditions were AWFUL and I changed my route and salvaged as much as I could.

You have a great car, I want you to be happy with it (and a little extra for me until I get around to trading up).

Old 07-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slackandsteel
I'll need to start setting the trip meter for each commute to see what I average on that.
Bingo! You have half or your solution right there. The car will break in, but over time so will you. If mileage is a concern, keeping track of the fuel economy for each trip will help you figure out what helps and hurts. I'm not saying that you will have to radically change the way you drive the car (unless you want to ). More like make small, gradual tweaks to your driving style to reduce the frequency and impact of common economy-killing habits. It takes a conscious effort but it doesn't have to be a chore.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

hmm..i have a 100 mile commute and i can't get less than 48mpg if i tried. I use the reccomended tire pressure and often drive well above speed limits to avoid getting rear ended by psychotic SUV drivers with road rage. Only advice i have is to limit jack rabit starts and plan ahead for where traffic slows so you don't accelerate needlessly, otherwise it should be automatic.

Quick Reply: Disappointed

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands