HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

disk breaks on hchII 09

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default disk brakes on hchII 09

Just wondering...

I was at the Honda dealer today, looking at the new Insight very nice.

While I was there I looked at a new 09 HCHII, and noticed that the car
had rear disk brakes, I have never been a fan of the fact that my 06 HCHII as drums. I am wondering if it is possible, for a reasonable amount of money
to convert the 06 to rear disks?

What do you all think, or know about the idea?

Brian

Last edited by hchluv; 04-01-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: disk breaks on hchII 09

I was not aware of that change on the '09, that's a switch!

I think it would take a very unreasonable amount of money to switch your rear brakes to disc, if it's at all possible. Cheaper to trade up

Old 04-01-2009, 12:41 PM

I hate it when a disk breaks--especially when it's a good DVD or something. I hear it's painful when that happens in your back too.

I've never felt a need for disk BRAKES though, even though I was kinda bummed by the drums at first. My goal is to never replace my drums over the life of the car, which should be do-able with the amount of regen braking I do.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

sorry,
did not check spelling before post

brian

Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

What's wrong with the drum brakes? It's lower cost and perfectly capable of providing all your rear braking needs, especially when combined with ABS. Fine for a car like the HCH.

-dan

Old 04-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just wondering why the change to disks if drums ok. Honda does not make changes for change sake. In my experience pad replacement is easier with disks then drums. I am sure that the drums would not need pad replacement for a long time however.

Brian

Old 04-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Brake system changeout

I had looked at changing from drum to disc rear brakes, and it is not that hard to do, The suspension members stay the same, it is just the brake assembly, wheel spindle, parking brake assembly.

All of the parts could be taken from a wrecked Civic and bolted right on.

But other than aesthetics, there is no practical advantage. With the regenerative braking of the engine, the rear brake shoes and drums get used very lightly and will probably last the life of the car.

The reason that the 09 HCHII has rear disc brakes is that it now has stability control, and that sort of system works best with disc brakes.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by hchluv
sorry,
did not check spelling before post

brian
I'm just razzing you

Originally Posted by Orient Express
The reason that the 09 HCHII has rear disc brakes is that it now has stability control, and that sort of system works best with disc brakes.
That's interesting. On the FEH, they went to drum brakes on the '09s for stability control reasons--or at least that's the general school of thought (an alternative school is that drums are cheaper for Ford to source).

Old 04-01-2009, 03:33 PM

I have disc all around on my Miata and the rears give me more trouble than the rest of the car put together. I'm happy with drums, thank you. Hal

Old 04-01-2009, 06:01 PM

I understand rear disks are a little more complicated, due to the need for parking brake function. One of my sons had rear disks on a Nissan Maxima, I recollect it was more involved changing the pads, you needed to screw back something.

Still, everytime I've disassembled a parking brake (I believe twice), I swear never again. I guess it's a matter of having the right tools and technique, particularly for the big springs.

With the Honda drum brakes, as long as shoe replacement is not involved, my idea of maintenance is:

1. Remove Wheel and drum. Verify shoe thickness is more than minimum.

2. Remove the retainer clips over the shoes, so that they're lose, but still in position.

3. Clean the 3 points of contact between shoe and the backing plate, and apply a slight amount of anti-sieze into the gap between shoe and plate, being careful to not get any on the face of shoe.

4. Reinstall retainer clips, drum and wheel.

When the shoe thickness warrants replacement:

1. Take to dealership and ask them to do it

Quick Reply: disk breaks on hchII 09

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands