HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Do you roll thru? Be honest.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do you roll thru? Be honest.

I roll.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Bad habits have always been hard to break ....

There could be strong promise for this new found addiction. With everything one has to do a bit different to make these autos tool corectly, perhaps the added plus is to make the stop signs count as well. From what others have said, and from what I have thought & noticed today driving, one will have more to deal than a few added 10ths of the gal.

.... hard as it change is a good thing.

John

p.s. "Diggs to them Yeilds".

Old 10-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

How often do you notice non-hybrids rolling through a stop? I actually see hybrids stop completely at every sign, while an F-150 or something else will just slow down. Then again, my driving is mostly city and hybrid drivers tend to be more conscientious.

/I come to a full stop at every sign, whether I'm seen or not.

Last edited by realist; 10-21-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:50 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Exclamation Re: Do you roll thru? Be honest.

I roll some of the time. Not in the city, not at a red light. Generally at night and just at stop signs in the country. This seems to be a major impediment to good mpg (overcoming inertia from a dead stop). This is an occassional risk that I take.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:14 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Yes, occasionally. It partly comes from DWB which encourages a gentle roll.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:09 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

No, I don't. It actually makes more sense that drivers in less fuel efficient cars roll thru, since they consume more fuel for such a stop/start. Probably why they tend to roll thru more often.

But I also think the stop signs are used modestly over here, so they are more respected. Most intersections have only a "yield" sign (triangle standing on top).

Old 10-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I stop. There may not be another car or truck coming, but there are often bicyclists, joggers or others on the roadway that are less visible. Some of them (cyclists especially) roll through Stops as well, and you will meet a very bad result if you and one of them happen to arrive at a sign-controlled intersection at the same time.

It's just so not worth it.

That said, shortly after getting my hybrid, I did accidentally run two red lights within two days of one another. That startled me enough (I'm usually a very attentive driver, not overly cautious and not overly aggressive) that I altered my driving to be safe AND fuel efficient, not just one or the other.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Agreed about European countries and Yield signs instead of Stop signs. When I was in Ireland years and years back I think we counted 3 Stop signs from Dublin to Shannon which took a leisurely 7 days. I'm SURE there was nothing but Yield signs and it made so much sense. Then again, their roads were laid out to be more of a Y shape instead of a 90-degree angle T shape and this really lent itself well to a Yield rather than a Stop. I also liked the lack of signs that indicate side roads, hidden driveways, etc. I need to get back to Europe again.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Safety is very important to me. However, if I have sufficient visibility and it is all clear, I will not come to a complete stop (unless there's a cop behind me).

Old 10-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flash
Agreed about European countries and Yield signs instead of Stop signs. When I was in Ireland years and years back I think we counted 3 Stop signs from Dublin to Shannon which took a leisurely 7 days. I'm SURE there was nothing but Yield signs and it made so much sense. Then again, their roads were laid out to be more of a Y shape instead of a 90-degree angle T shape and this really lent itself well to a Yield rather than a Stop. I also liked the lack of signs that indicate side roads, hidden driveways, etc. I need to get back to Europe again.
I absolutely agree with this. In most places with multi-way stops in my area, they could just as safely be yield-signs on the more commonly traveled way, and stop signs on the branch street. Also, small roundabouts (yield-sign controlled) are used in some places to replace multi-way stop signs, and are much better, as they allow most of the drivers to maintain a lot of their momentum.

Unnecessary stop signs completely devastate my fuel economy, as I live on a steep hill with several stopsigns at grade -- my net fuel economy for an up and down trip (4 miles total), such as a trip to the store, is about 30mpg, reducing my overall average by well over 10 percent compared to living at the bottom of the hill. It's certainly much worse though for the SUVs that live on the hill.

Another thing that's common here is sensor-controlled traffic signals, which in principle are a good idea as well -- time the lights so that they are on mostly in the directoin where the traffic is coming from, but the problem here is that the sensors controlling the lights are placed too close to an intersection, so it's usually necessary to slow way down before the light will "recognize" that a car is coming and change to green. If sensors were placed further away, or the existing traffic signals were networked, a huge number of unnecssary stops could be reduced.

Last edited by Double-Trinity; 10-22-2006 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Do you roll thru? Be honest.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands