HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Engine Auto Off Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Engine Auto Off Problem?

Does anyone have a problem where the auto off for the engine works intermittently? It seems when I take the car in the morning to work it never engages, but most other times it does. I thought it might be because the engine was cold, but once warmed up it still does not go on. When I leave work or head out for lunch it's working again.

Thanks.

-Reid

Old 04-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Auto Off Problem?

I live in MN and the mornings are pretty cool. They're usually in the high 30's to low 40's for Mid-Spring. The car doesn't seem to warm up until I drive at least 5-7 miles and that's after it's been parked in a garage all night long. It would take longer, if I parked it outside. I guess the questions are, how long is your commute to work, what's the temp in the mornings, and is it parked in a garage?

take care

Old 04-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast

My car is parked outside. I live in Florida so we are not talking cold mornings. My commute is about 35 minutes with the majority of it at highway speeds. But even at the end of my commute the shut off does not happen. It almost seems like the decision for it to run or not is decided when I start the car.

I do have to take it in for that recall notice of the battery wire so I'll have the shop check it. But I'm still curious to hear from other owners on this.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Do you have the defrost on?

Old 04-18-2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by colaboy29
My car is parked outside. I live in Florida so we are not talking cold mornings. My commute is about 35 minutes with the majority of it at highway speeds. But even at the end of my commute the shut off does not happen. It almost seems like the decision for it to run or not is decided when I start the car.

I do have to take it in for that recall notice of the battery wire so I'll have the shop check it. But I'm still curious to hear from other owners on this.
Try shifting to S gear for a little while as you drive. If you take your foot off the gas pedal when in S, you'll see regen kick in, whereas if you drive from a cold start in D you usually get no regen. Once you've driven with S for a bit, your Auto Off may kick in too.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:59 AM
Enthusiast

I will use my rear window defrost for a bit to remove condensation but I turn it off after about 10 minutes. Could this somehow signal the computer not to go into Auto Stop even after it's turned off?

My regeneration is fine and battery level has never gone below half but will give this a try. Thank you.

-Reid

Old 04-19-2007, 08:08 AM
.!.

I think Harold was referring to the front window defrost. Auto stop will not engage when the climate control is set in that position.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 AM

Thanks Blaster.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast

Also read your owners manual, there are some tips regarding auto stop operation. Like it will engage twice in a row under 8mph and less with defrost. Hope it helps.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've gotten auto stop to reapply at the same stop light after a creep forward...I don't know why but it wonderfully has. One thing I do to limit the electric use on hot days is to set my a/c at auto, if it is really hot out I start the auto temp at about 80+ to limit the pull on the a/c and creep it down as it begins to back off on cooling. The air is vastly cooler than the cabin temp but it just doesn't force as much air and in my mind doesn't pull as much power at stops. So far auto stop has never failed to work at a stop. Am I right in my assuption or just lucky?

Quick Reply: Engine Auto Off Problem?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands