HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Engine doesn't reengage after autostop

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 AM
06 HCH
Unhappy Engine doesn't reengage after autostop

Greetings,
This happened three times now over 2 months, totally random. I brought it to Honda and all they did was update the computer. I also had them replace the 12v battery. As predicted it happened again. Auto stop. Take foot off brake, engine doesn't start up again. This time I didn't panic. I shifted it in Neutral and it started up again. I called Honda and they assigned me a case manager, and of course I have to bring it to the Honda dealer again. Does anyone have any idea whats going on? I trust you guys more than Honda. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:15 PM
rgx
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine doesn't reengage after autostop

I think there was another thread about the same problem recently, search for it.

Then I would say look for the simplest reason for the fault first. Maybe the brake pedal is stuck and won't release completely, or blocked by the floor mat, or the position sensor is bad or wrongly calibrated, or has a bad connection.

Maybe next time the fault occurs you can try to pull the brake pedal upwards - if there is time for it. It might be enough to trigger the sensor.

One thing I don't understand is how you can get out of auto-stop by shifting to neutral. Mine stays in auto-stop if I keep the foot on the brake and shift to N. It starts if I go to reverse or S. Maybe that's a hint to where the fault is.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

He may have used the key to start it,Rolf? I'm only guessing. H

Old 11-20-2008, 02:12 PM
06 HCH

Originally Posted by rgx
I think there was another thread about the same problem recently, search for it.

Then I would say look for the simplest reason for the fault first. Maybe the brake pedal is stuck and won't release completely, or blocked by the floor mat, or the position sensor is bad or wrongly calibrated, or has a bad connection.

Maybe next time the fault occurs you can try to pull the brake pedal upwards - if there is time for it. It might be enough to trigger the sensor.

One thing I don't understand is how you can get out of auto-stop by shifting to neutral. Mine stays in auto-stop if I keep the foot on the brake and shift to N. It starts if I go to reverse or S. Maybe that's a hint to where the fault is.
Hi rgx and Harold,
Many thanks for reply. My foot was off the brake when I shifted into neutral. Perhaps thats why it started. I have searched the forum with no luck. Can you find it for me? Perhaps it was my thread when this first occurred. Thanks

Old 11-20-2008, 02:13 PM
06 HCH

Originally Posted by Harold
He may have used the key to start it,Rolf? I'm only guessing. H
No key, just shifting with foot off brake.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

There was a recall on the brake pedal switch, have you had that done? That's how the car knows to start the engine so it could be stuck.

Also, I think shifting to "L" should start the engine so that might be something to try.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:34 AM
06 HCH

Originally Posted by Rick
There was a recall on the brake pedal switch, have you had that done? That's how the car knows to start the engine so it could be stuck.

Also, I think shifting to "L" should start the engine so that might be something to try.
Thanks Rick, That recall was for the brake light switch. I will call honda to see what they say. Thanks.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:57 AM
06 HCH

Ok as far as the recall for the switch goes, my VIN was not under that recall, but I found out that the switch can cause auto stop to malfunction. I called the shop. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks