Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Fuel tank warranty extension (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/fuel-tank-warranty-extension-27417/)

hchiiluv 12-02-2011 02:08 PM

Fuel tank warranty extension

I received a notice from Honda the other day about increasing the warranty on the fuel tank (cracking/leak) of my HCHII to 10years and/or 120k miles....Has anyone else received this....

This seems to me that it should be a recall....I will hit the mileage way before the 10 year mark....I currently have 90k and am only 37 months old.

I have to wait till I smell fuel or see a drip....I do not think so

What do you all think about this

Brian

Harold 12-02-2011 02:59 PM

Re: Fuel tank warranty extension

I don't like the sound of that either. I haven't received a notice to date. H

btownmadness 12-03-2011 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by hchiiluv (Post 239565)
I received a notice from Honda the other day about increasing the warranty on the fuel tank (cracking/leak) of my HCHII to 10years and/or 120k miles....Has anyone else received this....

This seems to me that it should be a recall....I will hit the mileage way before the 10 year mark....I currently have 90k and am only 37 months old.

Brian

I've not received anything like this either. 2008 HCH II.

I never received the TSB for the rear-camper arm or IMA update either; my guess is Honda has the wrong address, and I have not figured out how to get it updated. My AHM account does not seem to have a place to update my residential address. Does anyone know how I can take care of this? (I do not have a rapport with my local Honda dealer ... for reasons I won't get into here).

hunter44102 12-03-2011 01:06 PM

I received a notice 2 days ago for my 2006 with almost 100K. I think I may have to inspect mine. if it looks bad I will get it replaced.. no reason to wait for gasoline to be leaking!

Bobs Metallic Pearl 12-06-2011 07:12 PM

I got one, pretty disgusted, this is the second plastic part that they "extended" the warranty on rather than recall...guess it lets them exclude lots of you guys with high mileage....pretty chicken S*** if you ask me, apparently that is what Honda has turned into.

Johnc73 12-11-2011 11:12 AM

Received one here too. I did have a small evap leak CEL over the summer where we had record heat but that was also when I found out my 12v was about to quit. Replaced the 12v (which reset the CEL in the process) and it has not come back on but now one has to wonder.

navguy12 12-11-2011 02:44 PM

I don't like the sound of that either. I haven't received a notice to date. H
I agree and I have not received any notice either......

I got one, pretty disgusted, this is the second plastic part that they "extended" the warranty on rather than recall...guess it lets them exclude lots of you guys with high mileage....pretty chicken S*** if you ask me, apparently that is what Honda has turned into.
At least at the corporate level, it now has the feeling of a big three company, say, circa 1978.....

BigHomey 01-01-2012 01:13 PM

I had the fuel tank leak just a couple months ago on my 2008 HCH. I drove the car to work on a Friday and noticed nothing that morning. Early Saturday morning my wife went into the kitchen to make coffee and told me that she smelled gas. I also have my Corvette and a gas generator in the same garage. Initially I thought it was the generator leaking that caused the smell. Process of elimination by sniff test led me to the left rear wheel of the Honda. I put it in the other garage on ramps and found the leak where the fuel filler neck joins the gas tank.

On Monday I took it to the local Honda dealer and got a call later that day that the entire fuel tank would have to be replaced and they were back ordered nation-wide. It would be at least three weeks to get one in. I bought the car used in Jan 2011 with 16K miles and the 3 year warranty ran out in May 2011. I was looking at $600 for the replacement. I told them to keep the car on their lot as I would rather have it blow up there than in my garage. The service advisor worked it out with Honda America to cover it under warranty (still only had 25K miles at that point) with a $100 deductible.

While I was waiting, I posted the problem on NHTSA's webiste and had been emailing back and forth with an engineer from DOT.GOV who seemed very interested in the situation.

Just over 3 weeks later the service advisor called me to let me know it was ready to pick up, but that Honda had just issued the extended warranty that morning and I owed nothing.

Even though there was a strong gas smell in my garage, there was no gas puddling on the floor, but the bottom of the tank had a large wet spot on it. I took pictures that I can post if anyone would like to see them.

AL

navguy12 01-01-2012 05:07 PM

I took pictures that I can post if anyone would like to see them.
Please do, thanks.

BigHomey 01-04-2012 08:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The first pic shows where the leak occurs at the joint of the filler neck and the tank. Even though it looks like there is a seal/o-ring at the joint, the entire tank and filler neck are one unit and everything has to be replaced. There is no repair.

The second pic shows how wet the bottom of the tank got from the leak.

AL

navguy12 01-05-2012 09:16 AM

Al, thanks

Even though it looks like there is a seal/o-ring at the joint, the entire tank and filler neck are one unit and everything has to be replaced. There is no repair.
OK, understood. Any torque applied between the filler neck and the point where the tank is attached to the frame has no place to dissipate......I wonder what case was made by the engineer for Honda to accept the risk inherent with that technique/design.

Thanks again

Mike

ptb 11-13-2018 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by hchiiluv (Post 239565)

Brian

Can you tell me the Service Bulletin NUMBER for the FUEL TANK WARRANTY EXTENSION?

I took my 07 HCH into the dealer to check the IMA battery under warranty for another 45 days and he came back with "FUEL TANK IS LEAKING & SHOULD BE REPLACED IMMEDIATELY --THIS IS A SAFETY CONCERN (CUSTOMER DECLINED REPAIRS EVEN THOUGH CAR IS NOT CONSIDERED SAFE TO DRIVE).

I read an article that states "Honda says it is confident the leaks do not pose a safety risk, according to the Times. (that's why this isn't considered a safety recall).

Service Bulletin Number ,please ????

ptb 11-13-2018 04:27 PM

ok, I don't need the Service Bulletin Number as the warranty was confirmed as 15yr/150k and the Fuel Tank was replaced under WARRANTY!

aklez 01-21-2020 11:26 PM

Hi all,

I just started having this issue with the fuel tank leak. I have a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid, just over 10 years old and about 70,000 miles. My mechanic told me the fuel tank will need to be fully replaced. I found several articles about the 2006-2011 extended warranty for this issue, but I cannot for the life of me find a copy of the announcement or the TSB number. Can anyone advise, and know if I would qualify (car is just over 10 years, but only 70,000 miles), and can you please point me to the TSB?

Many thanks!

ptb 01-22-2020 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by aklez (Post 269840)
Hi all,

I just started having this issue with the fuel tank leak. I have a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid, just over 10 years old and about 70,000 miles. My mechanic told me the fuel tank will need to be fully replaced. I found several articles about the 2006-2011 extended warranty for this issue, but I cannot for the life of me find a copy of the announcement or the TSB number. Can anyone advise, and know if I would qualify (car is just over 10 years, but only 70,000 miles), and can you please point me to the TSB?

Many thanks!

just bring car to the dealer with the news article
that’s what I did and they can look it up

S Keith 01-22-2020 11:30 AM

"just over 10 years old" = probably older than 10 years by more than "just over". More likely your car was made in late 2008 or early 2009 putting it over a year outside of the 10 year warranty.

Doesn't hurt to ask. I've seen articles that claim that California Civics have a 15 year/150K mile warranty on them already (I question this accuracy). Warranty is based on state of origin, not state of residence, i.e., if your car was sold new in CA, it has the CA warranty.

You could also subscribe to Honda's SIS and get access to all their service information ($20 for 1 day):

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

aklez 01-22-2020 07:42 PM

Thanks for the helpful responses. I appreciate it.

I talked to Honda and they asked me if I could provide the technical service bulletin number for the fuel tank issue, so if anyone does have that, that would be great (I can only find articles).

Regarding the California 15 yr/150K warranty, this seems to be true (https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/...t/APL39985.pdf)

But you say--"Warranty is based on state of origin, not state of residence, i.e., if your car was sold new in CA, it has the CA warranty". According to what I've found, it looks to me like it's based on state of residence. Where do you see that it is based on state of origin? Any resources about this you could point me to would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

S Keith 01-22-2020 07:58 PM

The document you linked essentially states it. PZEV is a rating.

"Refer to the under-hood tune-up label to see if your vehicle has PZEV emissions certification"

PZEV rating is a STATE awarded certification when the car is introduced for new sale into the PZEV market. They are not issued or sold outside of PZEV markets.

I can tell you that Toyota has honored MULTIPLE hybrid battery warranties on CA purchased cars operating in AZ. AZ does not recognize PZEV, and all AZ sold Toyota hybrid batteries have the 8yr/100K mile warranty vs. CA 10yr/150K. I have been involved in transactions where Toyota is reimbursing the hybrid owner for past replacement. One particular Prius was both a salvage title and a PZEV car registered in AZ. An AZ dealer told him that he didn't have the CA warranty because he wasn't in CA, and even if he was, the battery isn't under warranty because it's a salvage title. Toyota reimbursed him over a year later and contacted me to confirm the pricing on the transaction. After that experience, I ask all potential customers that might be in the CA warranty coverage if their car was purchased in CA.

Also, it turns out that you can't nullify either federal or state mandated EMISSION system warranties due to a salvage title provided the car is properly restored.

So, if your car is PZEV rated, it has the PZEV warranty.

If you buy a non-PZEV rated car and move to CA, you don't get the PZEV rating awarded to you even if the car would have qualified in CA. It was not PZEV rated at the time of sale, so it never will be. When you move out of CA, you don't lose the rating.

The PZEV warranty is imposed on the MANUFACTURER, i.e., "if you want the PZEV rating, you have to provide this warranty." Doesn't matter if you're not in CA.

ptb 01-23-2020 08:19 PM

I know this is alittle off subject, but you should also have the Dealer check your IMA battery before that Warranty expires.
Here are some notes I found on my 2007 and the IMA battery.
Dealer can run a check on the IMA percentage

Please refer to Honda Service Bulletin 12-077
Extended Warranty is 11years/162,000 miles
I went to the Honda Dealer and he Selected California and entered my VIN
They would NOT replace the IMA at 28%

aklez 01-23-2020 08:32 PM

Thank you for your time and help. I'm very grateful! Apologies, if I'm missing something, but looking at the link it sent, it says:

"PZEV warranty coverage applies to all vehicles with PZEV emissions certification that are registered and normally operated in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont."

Also, in this article "Partial zero-emission vehicles, including most hybrids and a few non-hybrid vehicles, warrant those parts for 15 years or 150,000 miles.States where this PZEV warranty is honored currently include California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont."

The articles and warranty information I see all seem to imply that the PZEV warranty will only be honored if I am in a PZEV state. Can you point me to anything that shows what you are saying about it being based on origin? Thanks again!

aklez 01-24-2020 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 269856)

The PZEV warranty is imposed on the MANUFACTURER, i.e., "if you want the PZEV rating, you have to provide this warranty." Doesn't matter if you're not in CA.

@S Keith - Many thanks for the helpful info. I am planning to go talk to my dealer, but I cannot find proof that PZEV is honored in non-PZEV states. In fact, I keep finding the opposite. For example, that warranty booklet says, "PZEV warranty coverage applies to all vehicles with PZEV emissions certification that are registered and normally operated in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont."

Also, this Consumer Reports article says "
States where this PZEV warranty is honored currently include California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont."

Do you have any other info or resources about PZEVs being honored in other states. I really appreciate your help!

S Keith 01-24-2020 05:38 PM

Dude... The example article you linked describes EXACTLY what you're looking for. A NC resident found out he was covered under the CA warranty. First paragraph:

"In 2012, a 2004 BMW 325i belonging to John F. Holmes of Fayetteville, N.C., suffered a fuel-pump failure. The local BMW dealer wanted more than $8,000 to replace it. But then Mr. Holmes learned that his car was covered by a 15-year emissions warranty under California law, and after some wrangling with BMW, he got the repair done for free."

I can 100% promise you that if you take a NON-PZEV car and move to CA or any other PZEV state, you do NOT get the PZEV warranty as it is not a PZEV certified car. PZEV certification is given by the PZEV state. The manufacturer is obligated to honor it anywhere. The one time this might not be true is if the car was purchased and never registered or operated in the PZEV or a PZEV-honoring state, but that might be hard to pin down.

Do you really think Toyota would cover failed hybrid batteries if they didn't have to?