HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

The recommended pressure on the door frame is 35F/37R. I noticed a stiffer ride when I bumped it to 40/40. I think this is to be expected. It's not bad, just stiffer.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

Originally Posted by DanPrius
The recommended pressure on the door frame is 35F/37R.
I've never seen a front-heavy car (59/31 weight distribution) that suggested lower pressures in the front tires than in the rear. That is completely counterintuitive for a car that inherently understeers!?!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

Whoops, bad typo on my part. Actually it is 35F/33R. But I have always added 2psi to each.

But that is not the point, as we were talking about the Goodyear Fuel Assurance Fuel Max tires.

You can add as much air as you want. Personally, I will probably go back to 37F/35R as I did with the OEM tires. My ride to work is over some crappy stretches of road, and I notice the bumps more at 41/39.

In conclusion I will recommend the tires as a replacement, as they will perform as well as better than originals, and are quieter and better on wet roads. My mileage is up in the 50's as with the originals. Good day

Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Energy Independence

Glad to hear it.
Thanks for the reports. Another tire for us to strongly consider.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:46 PM
hypermiler wannabe

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Nice report, David. But seriously, who drives under 80??? J/K. Check back in time and give a future follow-up on your tires, please! Interesting about your fuel economy.
1,500 mile update: Still getting the same-ish mileage, still the quietest LRR tires ever, even at 36-40psi. After a four-wheel alignment, my handling issues went away (Remember, these are for my Accord Hybrid)

I will definitely buy a second set of FuelMax for the Civic Hybrid.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Arrow Re: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

Originally Posted by davidwells
1,500 mile update: Still getting the same-ish mileage, still the quietest LRR tires ever, even at 36-40psi. After a four-wheel alignment, my handling issues went away (Remember, these are for my Accord Hybrid)

I will definitely buy a second set of FuelMax for the Civic Hybrid.
Thanks for the helpful info. Many people will be interested in your report, I expect. Nice to hear your handling issue was fixed with an alignment, and had nothing to do with the tires.

Now, who's going to try the new Bridgestone Ecopia EP100???

Old 05-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Think green.

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
...please post when you get more mileage, how they compare, say to your OEM.
Update on the Nokian i3 for Mendel:

I did okay, not quite as well as I thought it would be, but then again I'm not a very good hypermiler and my short commute seems to drag me down.

For the tank I got 43 mpg which is lower than what I got with the original Dunlop SP20FE OEM tires. Back when I first got the car I had a longer daily drive to make. My car favors highway drives and secondary roads where you can go about 45 mph or so.

But anyway, I still really like the i3 tires, and they coast like crazy. I think in the able hands of a good hypermiler they could do great things.
I run the tires at about 40 psi.

My data is in the link in my sig; old database still rules.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 PM

Thanks Gairwyn. I think Honda has the most motivation to find OEM tires that will give best mileage. OTOH, the OEM's wet traction is so-so and snow traction can be downright dangerous, particularly once the tread is down a bit.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 05-20-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Think green.

I agree. As much as I would like to get the best possible mpg, I decided upon a tire that I felt would provide safety, particularly in wet conditions.

Edit:
There is one other factor I almost forgot about. There's a difference in the "revolutions per mile" between my original Dunlop SP20FE tires (revs per mile=866) and my Nokian i3 tires (revs per mile=828). From what I've read, that means that my speedometer, odometer, mpg calculations would read lower as a result. How much that would impact a full tank measurement, I haven't figured out yet. (That would require more math...this could take some time...)

http://www.tirereview.com/?type=cc&id=179&53L3c73d=179

If my poor algebraic skills are correct, I think there's an apparent 24 mile negative bias for the tank, 529 miles reading on the speedmeter for the Nokians versus what would be 553 miles with the Dunlops. 553 miles with a 12.3 gallon fill would translate to about 44.9mpg...it think. I hate math.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 05-21-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

The correct rev/mile for the 195/65/15 OEM tire is 833 rev/mile. The HCHII speedometer/odometer is calibrated for 837 rev/mile.

The correct rev/mile specs are here. Note that the 205/55/16 tire on the non-hybrid Civics provide the correct speedometer odometer reading.

I have verified this by testing both size tires against a GPS speedometer.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands