HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

The default RPM (rev per mile) for an accurate speedometer and odometer reading is 837. Just about every 195/15 LLR tire turns at 833 thus the higher MPG reading.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

We were at Vancouver's Pacific National Exhibition yesterday, and saw a 2010 Prius on display. I took a look: the tires were Bridgestone Ecopia. Maybe EP20 or something like that? I think that ending varies dependent on the size, if not mistaken. Anyway, unless they swapped out them out, that's one tire Toyota's "betting" on, in Canada. Actually seems kind of odd to fit those as OEM, I don't believe it's rated "all-season". Isn't that almost mandatory?

Old 09-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

Had the rear control arm fixed (was defective) and then I put on the goodyear fuel max tires and a proper alignment.

While I have only driven the car (07, with 34k miles) for 10 miles, the sound quality is night and day, like going from a 60's muscle car to a Lexus inside. Much of the sound improvement has to do with replacing the worn and cupped tires at all four corners...likely new OEM's would have the same effect....but it was incredible how quiet the car became. I should have had the arms looked at sooner, but I just drive the car and dont often bother with anything but oil, getting mid 40's MPG (recenlty, down to 39 perhaps tires/pressure/hotter weather).

Of note, I put PSI at 42 all around. The alignment shop (which is very high end and has performed services on my exotics...only shop I trust) strongly recommended against 42 PSI, and advised a max of 35 cold, so that it heats up to 41/42 when hot. Possible repercutions include premature wearing around the center of the tread, and of course a harsher ride.

I'll have to toy with this after more mileage.

Second note, the tires seem to be tramlining much more than the OEM's.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dustman
<snip>
Second note, the tires seem to be tramlining much more than the OEM's.
What do you mean, that they get into the grooves for tram tracks, and are reluctant to get out?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

Tramlining...as in tires follow the grooves of the road (usually a freeway).
Seems fine now with a few hundred miles on the tires.
But....MPG went from 45 to 39. I dont think it is all tire related as the trend was beginning pre-tires. Me thinks there is an issue with the car.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:58 PM

Our '06 is at our favourite body shop right now (you can read about that in my latest post at cleanmpg), and we're currently driving a loaner with Bridgestone Insignia SE200, without the extra "02" at the end. Today was the first time I went for a decent drive in the car (a recent Toyota Corolla), and my seat-of-pant impression is that these tires don't give up anything in RR, comparing to the OEM Insignia's on our HCHII, the latter having the "02" suffix.

It could be due to the different cars to some extent, but all day long I found myself doing long coasts to red lights with no need for gas, needing to get on the brakes a bit more than usual. In short, the non "02" suffixed SE200's seem to be pretty low RR.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Hypermiler wanna Be

My '06 HCHII has about 75K miles on it, and I was on m 2nd set of Dunlops. They get very noisy as they wear out it seems.

I put a set of GY Assurance Comfortreads on last Saturday. Drove my normal route for a week and got very poor FE. I was very disappointed. Since my kids '02 Civic (non-hybrid) also needed tires, I went back to Discount Tire and had them put a set of GY Assurance FuelMax on my hybrid and put the Comfortreads on the kids car.

Way too early to tell if my 50+ MPG will return, but I sense the engine is not working as hard already and that the car will coast much better with the FuelMax tires. The Discount Tire guy talked me out of them originally...said they would not gain more an a mile per gallon or so better FE and were not nearly as good for traction and wear. He is probably right about the traction, but certainly not about the FE.

So we will see after this weeks run. All I know is, my wife did not want me coming home from work every day complaining about my FE for the day!

Greg

Old 10-24-2009, 09:37 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

The quickest way to tell how the new tires will perform fe-wise is how quickly the car moves when you take your foot off the brake on a level surface. If it moves quickly, you're golden. If it moves slowly, you will have to work very hard to make good numbers.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Hypermiler wanna Be

Well, first day with the new Assurance FuelMax tires and everything seemed OK with the FE this morning. About where I normally ran with my old worn out Dunlops. I am car pooling with someone lately (and I tell him that his fat *ss is costing me 5 MPG _ but since he is paying parking & tolls when he rides...I am OK with that).
Ride home was rainy and FE was off a bit, but I am thinking it was do to the rain. I had the tires at 42 PSI, so I pushed them to 44 PSI when I got home. Will see what that generates for FE tomorrow (still supposed to be rainy however).

I noticed that these tires say "51 PSI max" on the sidewalls....Anyone run then that high?

Greg

Old 10-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Greg
<clip>

I noticed that these tires say "51 PSI max" on the sidewalls....Anyone run then that high?

Greg
I'm running 50 front and 48 rear on mine...

Last edited by GardenWeasel; 10-29-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: I'm running 48 psi in rears...not 46 as I originally wrote.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands