HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH II City FE

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 05:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH II City FE

Yeah, it's the stop and go that will kill you. It's the HCH's weak point. Still, it's a killer on any car....you'd get significantly below EPA driving that way in any other car as well, most likely. A compact car getting 36mpg in heavy stop and go traffic is impressive.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Newbie here. I drive about 90 miles (roundtrip) to/from the enslavement portal. I also drive 95 north in the northern part of VA (if any of you know the I-95 corridor thru this part it sucks). Anyway, BEST mpg for me has been 38. But - when thinking I was getting 18 in my previous car - and filling up to the tune of $45 before; the 38 mpg and $24 per tank makes me laugh now.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

You're getting 38 on the highway? Are you driving 85mph or what? Worst highway milage over any real length of time for me has been 46mpg. Of course in large uphill sections, I'll get in the 30s, but as an average, always at least in the 40s, and usually only as low as mid 40s if I'm in a strong headwind.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

I fill it up and toodle around. A/C on for some but not hanging meat in the cab. The electronic measurement says 38/39. 85mph on I-95 ? Maybe I'm not doing something right? I put gas in, reset the trip/mileage and go. Morning & evening traffic mostly - to/from work stop and go for the start (about 5 miles) and then open HOV travel for another 30-35 miles, and then stop/go for the remaining 5 or so. I've never seen 40mpg (yet) and have had the car since March. Even had the dealer check into it and they say all is well (but hten, they would say that). Any ideas then? Thanks

Old 10-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meerkat
Any ideas then? Thanks
Adjust your driving habits!

I am sure there is nothing wrong with the car - high thirties is not too unusal if the vehicle is being driven with little regard for the fuel mileage.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Reminds me this morning I was tooling along at 55MPH westbound on I-88. I usually travel at 55-60MPH on this interstate. I was being passed by everyone including a couple of semi's. I was also passed by a twin to my car - identical color and equipment. The twin to my HCHII blew by me at proably 75MPH.... I thought to myself, I could have bought a Civic LX for several thousand less and still be getting better mileage than that HCHII going 75!

It was 8AM on a Saturday, I was left trying to figure out what was everyone's hurry?

Last edited by EZ2beGreen; 10-07-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:56 AM
F**k ExxonMobil

Originally Posted by meerkat
I fill it up and toodle around. A/C on for some but not hanging meat in the cab. The electronic measurement says 38/39. 85mph on I-95 ? Maybe I'm not doing something right? I put gas in, reset the trip/mileage and go. Morning & evening traffic mostly - to/from work stop and go for the start (about 5 miles) and then open HOV travel for another 30-35 miles, and then stop/go for the remaining 5 or so. I've never seen 40mpg (yet) and have had the car since March. Even had the dealer check into it and they say all is well (but hten, they would say that). Any ideas then? Thanks
welcome to the site. if you want high fe (fuel economy), you have to learn and apply the many techniques that can be found on this site. you can't drive a hybrid like a regular car and expect the high fe that others are getting. i think mid 30mpg is probably all you can expect if you drive the hybrid like you would a regular car.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming!

Most of my driving would be 2-5 mi trips composed of exclusive stop-n-go driving.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Meerkat: Even with what you're saying, that's odd. With stop and go, mid to upper 30s is certainly understandable. Any highway stuff? Very odd. Today, I had to go 25 miles, mostly highway, and I was running late, so I ditched ALL my FE gaining habits and just punched it to get there. Was driving about 73mph mostly uphill (with some spats of downhill), and directly into a 20mph headwind (not kidding). Those conditions are the worst I can imagine. Hard on the gas to keep speed up hills, etc. I also always keep the climate control on auto at around 74-76 degrees (though it was cool enough today that the A/C probably wasn't on much).

I still managed 42.3 indicated when I got there. Now, that's a full 10+ MPG less than I usually get on the highway, but still not bad, and it was the worst conditions I would drive on the highway. On the way back, I could drive leisurely, and by the time I got home, I was at 50.0 indicated for the round trip, though I took a different route that took me on a lot of empty roads with 35-45mph speed limits, which helped a lot, as I was getting 65mpg or so on those roads.

The only thing I can think of is that you have had 5W-30 oil put in the car instead of 0W-20, or something like that. Very odd.

Last edited by JordanCS; 10-07-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:24 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Re: HCH II City FE

EricT & SodaGuy,

Short commutes kill mpg! Especially with a lot of stop and go. I live near Buffalo, NY it is very cold in the winter. I have found the following to help:

Gradual acceleration
DWB - Driving without brakes
DWL - Driving with the load (slow down up hills and speed up down hills)
Overinflate the tires
Go speed limit or below (try not to go over 55mph)
Install a block heater - if you live in a colder climate

Keep working at it. After the break - in period and following all the tips here it will improve.

Regards,

Quick Reply: HCH II City FE

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands