HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH II City FE

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH II City FE

I have 300 miles on my 06 HCH. I enjoy it a lot since even if I gun it on the highway, I am still getting 48 mpg. Now that is what I call having fun and conserving energy at the same time. In the city, fuel economy takes a nose dive but not below 40 mpg.

The key here is that any engine is not efficient at speed below 30 mph. This is where toyota HSD shines since it can use battery power alone below that speed. However, I avoid that by accelerating quickly above 30 and then feather the throttle.

I enjoy driving the HCH, it feels like a toy car / race car. I also enjoy driving my Highlander Hybrid but it is less fun than the HCH.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

I must be a dweeb in my driving. I haven't had to worry (before) or think about mileage/FE since the hog I was driving didn't matter. Wifey got an 06 PRIUS in Feb and gets around 47-52. I got the 06 civic because I wanted a car that (basically) looked like a car and offered a bit more room in the cockpit. From day one it was in the high 30's on the mpg. I'll need to fill up and try all of your methods to see what I am doing wrong (or not doing). There seems to be a flat spot (hesitation) on initial take-off from a light, etc. Also, it sometimes drives like the tranny is slipping (RPMs run higher than the pickup) but that may be the way the IMA works. I try to stay off the pedal from accel to destination as much as I can but traffic on I-95 is worse than L.A. traffic! Thanks for all your help and info.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

2 mi commute + Hills + Stop & Go Traffic+ Max Speed 25-30 MPH= 33-35 MPG.