HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH II Driving in California

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default HCH II Driving in California

Most weekdays, I drive my '08 HCH II 29 miles each way from Valencia to Los Feliz/East Hollywood. I have clean air stickers on the car, so I take advantage of the HOV lanes on the I-5/170 freeways. Since purchasing the car, I've noticed others cars driving way too fast...and, I'm not traveling that slowly-usually staying in the 60-65 mph range on the freeways, averaging around 48 mpg with my driving style.

I've had cars come up on me, flip me off, etc. Most of these 'hybrid haters' have room to pass as I always leave a passing opportunity. Today, I had car come up upon me so fast I thought I was going to get rear ended!

How do other hybrid car drivers handle driving in the HOV lanes?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: HCH II Driving in California

We have stickers too, and just drive the speed limit. If someone is in a hurry, and I can yield the lane I do it, if not, tough. Most of the time at rush hour the HOV lane is the fastest one even with those of us driving the speed limit.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

I agree, OE!

Hybrid True Story: I actually had one guy follow me off the freeway into a gas station! (This was during the daytime!) I could not believe this was happening! I'm guessing he was pretty angry he could not get around me. He barked a couple of words towards me as I was gassin' up. (I was ready to spray a little gas on him!) I replied, "You're a single occupant in a HOV lane!" He then left...some people!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Stevielive:
I feel sorry for you, having to deal with driving in Sth Cal.! I just hate it when I visit California. Everybody seems to be going to a fire and most are driving on the edge. I am not sure what the stats are for accidents in sth. Cal, but I would think it is one of the highest in the US! Crazy drivers. Can't people give themselves more time and relax!!! They are crazy on week-ends as well! I would never go there to live, just not worth it. Hal

Old 04-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Enthusiast

The farther left that I am, the faster the speed. If you are not willing to match the speed of your fellow motorists then be prepared for the occasional irate person. I drive in the far right lanes when going under 65 with no problems. Please don't be the turtle in the HOV lane. If there are 10 cars bottled up behind you and open road in front of you, move to the right, you are driving too slow. Courtesy on the road is contagious.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Arrow Re: HCH II Driving in California

Originally Posted by LAdude
Please don't be the turtle in the HOV lane. If there are 10 cars bottled up behind you and open road in front of you, move to the right, you are driving too slow.
Europeans are very mindful of the importance of keeping right, and only passing on the left. If this were taught and properly reinforced here, our traffic would flow much smoother. It would cost almost nothing to repost "slower traffic, keep right" signs along the freeway for younger and forgetful drivers.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast

I run in the HOV lanes (I have the stickers) at 70MPH in order to keep up. And even then, I am 5-10 too slow. FE sure does suffer above 65 though. Price I pay I guess, but I too believe in the EU system of move over/stay out of the left lane, or drive the flow.
They just built the new lanes on 118 in Simi, and man is it a racetrack. Apparently CHP knows it too as they announced today 3X the tickets (nearly 200!) in one week on this stretch. No wonder I cant keep up!

Old 04-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Arrow Re: HCH II Driving in California

Originally Posted by Dustman
No wonder I cant keep up!
Maybe you should consider a personalized plate that would at least give others a laugh while they're stuck behind you!

A few good plates I have seen – one was on an ancient VW Bus – SLOPOKE, IH82PAS, and IPASNO1.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LAdude
The farther left that I am, the faster the speed. If you are not willing to match the speed of your fellow motorists then be prepared for the occasional irate person. I drive in the far right lanes when going under 65 with no problems. Please don't be the turtle in the HOV lane. If there are 10 cars bottled up behind you and open road in front of you, move to the right, you are driving too slow. Courtesy on the road is contagious.
If a person does not want to speed. Then they should not. And if others are hell bent on breaking the law so be it.

I use to live in SoCal. That place is a true cluster!

I wish we had HOV lanes here in Okiehoma. But over all it would not matter. The wife and I carpool into Tulsa most days.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast

My personalized plate is for this purpose! It reads SIT CALM

Quick Reply: HCH II Driving in California

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands