HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH jumps forward when auto stop restarts engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation HCH jumps forward when auto stop restarts engine

Does anybody have this issue? Since day 1, my HCH will jump forward if I let off the brake after the car goes into autostop, but I don't come to a complete stop. Its like the clutch is engaging way too rapidly.

The first time it did it, I nearly hit a lamp post in a parking lot. Occassionaly the car will do it even when it is completely stopped, but mostly if I don't let is stop all the way. A couple of times, its even jumped forward slightly when I've started the car after its been sitting and its in park.

I've driven many HCH's, from 1st gen to 2nd gen as rentals, and NONE of them did this. I like how the dealership tried to say at first that it was a normal behavior. But of course, when I was driving it with a technician in the car, I couldn't get it to jump once.

So, my question to you all, has anybody had this consistant issue? If so, did you get it fixed? Was there a TSB regarding the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH jumps forward when auto stop restarts engine

When I began reading your post I was thinking I have experienced this several times myself. Perhaps a dozen or so occurances in 30,000 miles. Then when you stated that you have driven many other HCH's that didn't do it, I am not sure if it something more than what I have experienced.

When I experienced it on my HCH, it seemed as if it would not have occurred if my timing was just slightly different...

Old 07-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

happens all the time to me. Not sure if it moves forward though, but it definitely is very rough. This happens when its in autostop, but the car hasnt come to a complete stop.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

i have had some similar but rare occurances when the car just gets into auto stop and the road is slightly going down hill. The car is still traveling at least 7mph or more if the car gains enough momentum. It seems like its something to do with the transmission.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

Yes, this is a common thing with the HCH II. If autostop kicks in (under 12KM/h), and you are still rolling (or worse, you are speeding up), you have to slow down before releasing the brake. I posted here last year that I decided to try autostopping down a hill. I speed up to about 20km/hr and released the brake. The car jumped as the CVT tried to kick in (expecting the tranny to be stopped or barely moving). I wrote about this to Honda in a survey they sent me- I think that autostop should also be tied into current speed (so if this does happen, autostop would dissable when you hit a certain speed- like 10km/h).
Lesson- learn that this is one of those quirks and either come to a complete stop, or release your brake sooner before your speed creeps up.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

yes, exactly. I tried this again and when I was in autostop and gaining speed on a slight downhilll slope..i put the car in Neutral released the break and then shifted into Drive after a second. This is smoother and safer.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have never had my HCH2, auto-stop untill after the car has stopped rolling. As far as I know the brake has to be on for it to auto-stop? If it auto-stops without the brake being on and the car stopped, you have a problem with your car? H

Old 07-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Oh, and it should not jump forward when starting. H

Old 07-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've had two HCH2's, a 2006 and a 2007, both did this. Now I should mention I recently had my current 2007 reprogrammed at the dealer to correct the AC cut out for 8 seconds while taking off from a light (Air works much better now) and I got an unexpected extra, it doesn't slam the clutch quite as often, but still does on occasion if I am pressing the pedal just right. I suspect this behavior is done for the sake of trying to maximize the clutch life, but it is annoying at times.

So someone take your car in and complain of the AC kicking off for too long when you accelerate from a stop light and have them update the firmware and see if you think it dumps the clutch less often... or if it was just me.