HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH owner sues Honda over mileage claims

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH owner sues Honda over mileage claims

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Liv,
would you rather have hybrids which can be babied and have tools and instruments which allow them (when babied) to produce pretty amazing results from average intelligence drivers,

or

no hybrids at all?
yikes... such black and white choices. where do you see me saying no hybrids at all. i am saying just like there are sports car with multiple levels of sport modes, whe have hybrids that have a button that can achieve greater FE over any other parameter.

My point is that as of now, there is NO vehicle technology yet invented which allows one to zoom around uncaringly about how much power (fuel) is being exerted by the engine system (whatever that might be.)
Really? You don't say. Where do you see me saying you need to be zooming around? I'm saying have a mode where zooming is not possible if it is at the expense of FE.

It's not a failure by the manufacturers at all - it's them giving us the best thing that current technology offers, TODAY.
The hybrid fanatics will agree with you. The average joe will expect more and should. The manufacturers missed the boat on this and didn't realize how misinformed the average joe could be. The changes i'm talking about can be achieved via software.
TOMORROW, that might be different.

Take the goodness of today's hybrid vehicles and magnify them, don't belittle them. They can't be better, RIGHT NOW.
Belittle them? Demanding more is belittling them? Defending them imo just keeps everything status quo.

They are the best compromise that the buyer will accept. Too small, too little power, not accepted (Insight). Good size, a lot of power but not such good efficiency, not accepted (HAH).

We are lucky to have hybrids, with there small number of disadvantages FAR outweighed by the long list of benefits.

Having to slow down a little (which we ALL need to do anyway) and pay attention to how you use the accelerator is a VERY small price to pay for millions of gallons of fuel saved so far and every day in the world.
preaching to the choir.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

My concern is that driving a Hybrid [and Hybrid car ownership] should not be seen as some kind of "cult" or restricted club. A Hybrid is just like any other car and should driven like any other car. Most of the time the first question I get about my car is "is it difficulty to drive?".
Anyone can drive a Hybrid and everyone should be driving one as far as I am concerned.
I have to keep reminding myself that I bought a Hybrid car mainly to reduce my impact on the environment, not as a subject of conversation, nor as a rare possession, nor as a hi-tech toy, etc. It is just a frighen car!

PS. This morning I did 65 mpg coming to work and for the first time the battery was showing fully charged with 8 bars.

Last edited by Katz6768; 07-11-2007 at 06:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-11-2007, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by livvie
hehe... ok. everything needs to be spelled out.

no. i'm not saying the hybrid default system should be the easy way. when the driver presses the ECON button this puts the hybrid in a mode that maximizes FE over any other parameter. Maybe we can have multiple levels of ECON... just like there are cars with multiple level of sport mode.

this way, those that know how to drive without the aids can do so, and those that can't can get some much needed help without having to think about it.
Interesting. The soon to be released 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid does have an ECON button (right next to the EV button). You can see the picture by going to the following link:
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/highlander.html
Click on "Explore and Learn" and then "Photos".

I wonder what exactly this mode will do. Do any of the current hybrids have an ECON mode, or will this be the first?

Last edited by Mr. Kite; 07-11-2007 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:46 AM

livvie says,
The changes i'm talking about can be achieved via software.
If you are talking about giving all the Toyota hybrids an EV mode button, well, I agree that they could do that easily enough.

But why did they not do it already?

Because of the battery technology. They want the battery to last longer, so they limited the capability of the HSD system accordingly.

LIKE I SAID ALREADY: The technology is limited. They gave us the best that current battery technology will allow.

And as far as "driving a hybrid like any other car" well you can certainly do that. But in doing so, you will not be using the tools and instruments in a way which will best utilize the technology in the car. Sorry, but that's the reality.

And the technology at this point does not allow for anything else.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
Interesting. The soon to be released 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid does have an ECON button (right next to the EV button). You can see the picture by going to the following link:
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/highlander.html
Click on "Explore and Learn" and then "Photos".

I wonder what exactly this mode will do. Do any of the current hybrids have an ECON mode, or will this be the first?
Honda's have the ECON button, but does not affect acceleration.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by livvie
Honda's have the ECON button, but does not affect acceleration.
Honda "HAD" the Econ button on the older HCH-1.
The HCH-II (2006-2007) no longer does since it can run its AC on electric alone.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Contributor ($)

If people want to get the EPA numbers for gas mileage it very easy, all they need to do is drive a commute EXACTLY like the EPA's test course and drive it in EXACTLY the same manner as the EPA test.

Now, the reality is that no one has a commute exactly like the EPA test course and no one drives EXACTLY in the same manner as the EPA test.

But the EPA does provide a good tool to compare one car against another. That's it. Nothing more.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:04 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Smile Re: HCH owner sues Honda over mileage claims

I sent a comment to the Detroit news and gave them some info. I mentioned GH and gave them my e-mail & phone #. I also suggessted they try to report on the other sides of this issue. We'll see if I get a response.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
I think he is a "jazz pianist" - not that there is anything wrong with that.
LMAO, my thoughts exactly.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zadscmc
He must have a lead foot. I average over 54 mpg on my '04 HCH MT.
I think he must leave it running all night to keep the engine warm (or the inside cool). I'm not sure I could even get that low of mileage

Quick Reply: HCH owner sues Honda over mileage claims

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands