HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Head Restraint discomfort

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Head Restraint discomfort

Is anyone else finding the Civic's active head restraints uncomfortable? I'm 5'8" and the seat contour is such that the head restraints push my head forward so that I'm always supporting the weight or pushing back against the rest. Adjusting the seat changes nothing within usable limits.

At present, I have resorted to turning the rest backwards in its mounting. Gets it out of the way, but not too safe if hit from behind. I may have some foam removed from the front of the rest and reconform the cover to it.

Any other ideas?

Old 07-31-2006, 11:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Head Restraint discomfort

I'm 5' 11". No problems for me.

Please reconsider making changes to your headrest! It is actually part of the safety system of the vehicle. As I recall, the HCHII has an active headrest system. The headrest is designed to move in an accident to prevent whiplash injuries. Modifying the headrest (reversing it or changing the foam) could make the system less effective!

Old 08-01-2006, 02:49 AM
The Devil's in the detail

You may have the seat back too upright...that's all.

Adjust the seat back backwards and move the seat base forward.

This will move you head forwards relative to the head restraint.

Failing that...chop your head off

Old 08-01-2006, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast

I've tried the semi reclining position(my usual); I think it's just the way my shoulders fall into the top of the seat. If I lean the seat back way back, I find I'm still having to hold my head forward. I also find some recliners uncomfartable for the same reason. Guess it's just me, if nobody else is noticing this.
BTW, been to Darwin and all along your east coast, but never to Melbourne. Love it ovah theh!

Old 08-01-2006, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast

Yep; turning it around backwards makes it completely useless. But it does keep me from having a headache after 10 minutes. I may have to place a thin cushion in the upper seat back or something to give a little more clearance. I'll find a solution.
Thanks

Old 08-01-2006, 11:52 PM
The Devil's in the detail

Melbourne is about the same latitude as Portland, Oregon. A little warmer in summer though...but very similar nevertheless.

Darwin is way too steamy. Florida!

Old 08-02-2006, 03:54 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
I'm 5' 11". No problems for me.

Please reconsider making changes to your headrest! It is actually part of the safety system of the vehicle. As I recall, the HCHII has an active headrest system. The headrest is designed to move in an accident to prevent whiplash injuries. Modifying the headrest (reversing it or changing the foam) could make the system less effective!
I believe the Civic is one of the first cars on the market to feature the active headrest.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

May be time to get a sheepskin (lambswool) seat cover. It'll push you away from the headrest a half an inch or so, and you have the luxury of staying cool in the summer and warm in the winter! Just a thought.

Another possibility is to take the car to a seat upholseterer. I have done this to add lumbar cushion to a car before. They might be able to diagnose a fix.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Hybrid-Hugger

My wife is complaining about the headrest as well. She is the passenger (as this is MY CAR- that's right baby- this is MY CAR!!!). She hates the ride now because of this so I now have to figure out how to fix it (and turning it around is just as bad as she has no support). I like her so lobbing her head off won't solve anything (wel.... just kidding).

Old 08-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You could always just grow a couple of inches.

Quick Reply: Head Restraint discomfort

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands