HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

high RPMs with delayed reset to coast RPM range

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:57 PM
rgx
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: high RPMs with delayed reset to coast RPM range

Double,

it could help us if you know what tire was replaced in March, and how the tires were rotated now. Front-to-rear on both sides I guess. I have had one rear tire replaced and have the same problem.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

Ok, about the tires. They may be a factor in the cause of the problem, however apparently the problem can be fixed without repositioning or replacing the mismatched tire. I had four Pirelli's on the car until I caught a nail in my tread in March of 08. They replaced it with a stock Dunlop and made that tire the drive tire. It was recently rotated to the other front tire position.

As for how the fixing came about, the technician was finally able to confirm the problem on the third test drive, hooked it up to a diagnostic machine, and noticed that the PCM was acting up. They hooked it up to some machine and updated the car's computer, which I am sure effectively reset a few things in the way the CVT senses the car's speed.

The result, I had to pay $130 for the diagnostic, and they adjusted everything else for no charge. I've been driving it since Friday night and have yet to have a recurrence of the problem, once again the Civic drives like a dream.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Enthusiast

Oh yeah, the guy did mention something about PCM's meaning. I believe he said PCM stood for Powertrain Control Monitor/module or something...

Hope that helps you guys.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Why do you have to pay for diagnostic on a warranty issue?

Old 12-14-2008, 07:17 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

Double, this is great news. I asked my dealer to investigate my problem at next maintenance, in January. Will let them know your dealer was able to fix it.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:44 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

Dealer says they have fixed the problem on my car now, with a software upgrade. I haven't had time to test it yet but it should be OK.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I might be having a similar problem:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18356

It was intermittent, for a few days over the holidays, and not since.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rgx
Dealer says they have fixed the problem on my car now, with a software upgrade. I haven't had time to test it yet but it should be OK.
Yes! It works like a charm. The HCH2 really is enjoyable also at higher speeds, I fear that I will be driving faster from now on. It's possible that I have held around 105 km/h partly to avoid the gear/rpm problem. On the plus side, when I do, FE will probably be better than before (at that speed).

Old 06-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast

It is a known issue for 2006 Civic. Although it was no longer under warranty, a dealer did fix it for free. See Honda Service Bulletin 07-041 (from July 2007). Never had a problem until the 1st rotation on my new set of 4 matching tires.

Like another post, I could ALWAYS replicate the problem by hard acceleration -- if the engine was warm.

When they fixed this software, they applied 3 other software fixes. The 4 fixes were: MXA610, MXA550, MXA080, and MXA060. Not sure which was the problem, nor what the other 3 did.
Good luck