HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Home remedy wanted: how to turn off SRS lamp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Home remedy wanted: how to turn off SRS lamp?

As per my heated seats thread...
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...007-hch-23516/
...does anybody know a "home garage trick" to extinguish the SRS lamp?
I kept the key in the ignition prior to battery disconnect and kept it there until after battery re-connection.
The shop manual warns that even with that technique, the SRS light will "probably" come on with major (seat) work......

I have double checked the 8 SRS connections that were temporarily disconnected for my heated seat installation. All have been "clicked" in place.

I'll live with the lamp (hidden behind a small piece of black tape) until I'm forced to go to a dealer for some other issue. I just don't want to pay $100 for what will be a 30 second evolution.....

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

Old 01-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Home remedy wanted: how to turn off SRS lamp?

These instructions are for a Acura, they may work for you.
Proceed at your own risk.

See video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...14569230594792

or

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...86461458353617

1) You must find the MES connector. In order to find the MES Connector on you have to be on your back and looking up at the fuse box. It was yellow in color and was a 2 prong connector. The insulating material around the wires of the connector was also yellow. It is plugged into a "dummy harness." Hence, the prongs are not actually plugged into anything; the "dummy harness" just holds the MES Connector and prevents it from bouncing around.
2) Clip one alligator clip to one of the prongs and the other alligator clip to the other prong. If you're using 2 strands of wire, you won't be clipping, but twisting or shoving the wire into the respective prongs.
3) Hold the two ends of your wire together, so that they are now connected.
4) Keeping the wires connected, turn the ignition on (Do NOT start your car).
5) The SRS light comes on for about 6 seconds and then goes off. Quickly disconnect the two wires.
6) The SRS light will come on again. Quickly reconnect your wires.
7) The SRS light goes off. Disconnect your wire connection and leave the wires disconnected.
8) If you did this correctly, the SRS will blink twice.
9) Turn the ignition off and wait 10 seconds.
10) Turn the ignition on, thus starting your car, and hopefully the SRS light will now be off.
11) Turn your car off, assuming the above instructions worked and your SRS light is now off. If not, either retry the instructions and/or verify that nothing else is wrong.
11) Remove your wires, do not cross them at all or let them touch. Replug the yellow/green connector back into the "dummy harness".
12) If the SRS light comes back on (assuming you reset the SRS correctly and the light was off), then something is malfunctioning in the SRS Airbag System and you'll have to see a dealership or repair shop.
Problems?
- You only have a 4 second window to connect/disconnect the wires. Example: when the SRS light comes on in Step 6, you have 4 seconds to reconnect the wires.
- Make sure you have the right connector and that a module or some other part of the SRS system is not malfunctioning.
- It took me 2 tries to get it right. The main thing to remember is that the wires need to be connected when the light is on, disconnected when the light is off.

Last edited by starman; 01-02-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

OK, thanks for the tip. I'll staff check this and give it a try. I'll post results either way within the next day or so.

Much thanks

Cheers

Mike

Old 01-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Starman, you are bang on.

Go to the beginning of.....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3821425/3

I captured all the info on how to reset an SRS lamp at home. Note how I built on your alligator clip concept when you check the above link.

Cheers

Thanks

Mike

Old 01-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Starman, you are bang on.

Good to hear the reset worked. Strange the light did come on for me. I wonder if it had to with me doing only doing the driver's side? ...or my lack of reading skills when I left the key on?

Very good job on your procedure. Would have saved me some headacks.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hope it gives some folks the gumption to do this project if they feel the desire for heated seats.....

Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

The SRS light came on in my car yesterday, and I reset it using the 'paper clip' method. Amazing! It actually works. Who comes up with this stuff? Not sure how long it will stay off, but so far so good - have about 100 miles since I reset it and it's still off.

Now if I could find a way to keep the IMA and Check Engine lights off for more than a day I would be set. I leave the negative battery cable loose so I can remove it without tools to reset the IMA light. I'm so used to the lights being on that I only reset it now on 'special occasions'. 6 more months and I trade it in - thinking the trade in inspection will be one of those 'Special Occasions'.

Last edited by Neil; 01-03-2013 at 12:50 PM.