HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Think green.
Default Re: How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

Originally Posted by Harold
I was referring to Gairwyn's post where he said his mpg was pegged at 120. Hal
(I'm a "she". Wow, that's poor grammar.)

Yeah, on this particular street I'm usually doing about 30-35mph, and I know that I'll have enough speed to make it to the stop light at the top. I let off the gas about a block and a half before reaching the stoplight. The mpg meter reads 120mpg, I'm not braking, and the battery charges as I go around the bend in the road and up the hill to the light. It happens every time.

It could just be a really good place to coast, or it may have something to do with my car being a lean-burn model, I dunno...

I wish it did this on every hill I encounter, but no, just this one as far as I have ever seen.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes I got you! You are coasting, so regen is doing its thing. Very normal! When you said up hill, I took for granted you where using some throttle, sorry! Hal

Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Oh, and sorry I called you he. Hal

Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Think green.

Yes I got you! You are coasting, so regen is doing its thing. Very normal! When you said up hill, I took for granted you where using some throttle, sorry! Hal
Yup, pretty sure I'm coasting every time. (Sorry for the misunderstanding. The thread title made me think of this particular part of my drive.) I imagine if I were to use some throttle, it would cancel out some of the charge bars. Due to the "slalom" turn as I approach the top of the hill, and all the bumps in the road on that curve, I hardly ever use the gas there.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:17 PM

Gairwyn, you are in EV mode when IFG is pegged! If you come onto the gas peddle easy you can stay in EV mode with up to 4 assist bars showing and the IFG still pegged. You could maybe make the next light providing it is not to steep. Your SOC has to be more than four bars in order to stay EV as well. You probably know all about this mode, but thought I would mention it in case you are not! H

Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Arrow Re: How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

I experimented with EV mode for the first time night-before-last. I could find it easily by lifting my pressure slightly from the accelerator when the car was at 1,000 RPM.

There is so much good info on this car, but much of it is BURIED in too much technical info. Somebody could write a 'Hybrid 101 For Dummies' article with the intent to be as concise as possible, concentrating on nothing but fundamentals. I think most novices do NOT understand simple things like EV mode and how the battery system SHOULD be used. Back to basics!!!

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 04-28-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:58 AM

The HCH2 can hardly pull itself in EV mode but it is fun trying to see how far you can manage in EV mode! Their is another mode called the SHAM that really gives you high MPG #'s but you required a scan gauge to keep it there. I think that is how Wayne posted those high numbers when he broke the 48 US state fuel efficiency record with the HCH2. They ended up in the high 70's mpg with two co-drivers and gear. I find I get my the best FE when I don't use assist bars, but its not near the 70 mark!!!. Hal

Old 04-28-2009, 01:09 PM

I found another very efficient driver-actuated mode that probably has good documentation elsewhere but was unknown to me. I noticed that if I am driving at a constant speed getting 'X' MPGs, sometimes if I press the gas pedal very slightly and then let up, it will skyrocket my MPGs to significantly higher than my original 'X' MPGs and maintain the higher fuel economy. It is rather astounding, since it will often return me a 20+ MPG boost.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Steve, this sounds like SHAM! timing jumps to 37 deg.btdc. try lifting one more time and you may do better! Hal

Old 04-28-2009, 05:54 PM

Steve, this sounds like SHAM! timing jumps to 37 deg.btdc. try lifting one more time and you may do better! Hal
While I don't like the 'sham' name, I do like the effect. Not sure if I could stand any better mileage than it's already giving me... but will try!

Quick Reply: How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands