HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How many here user a gird charger for their Honda Civic Hybrid Gen II?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How many here user a gird charger for their Honda Civic Hybrid Gen II?

Hmmm... He must be running low on boards...

I'm 99% sure the PWM signal of the HCH2 is inverted to the HCH1, so it will simply reverse the pot function that governs pack speed.

The output is 2X (28-100V) or 56-200V if both LED PS are active. They are constant current at 350mA and will vary voltage based on what the pack can take.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How many here user a gird charger for their Honda Civic Hybrid Gen II?

Originally Posted by S Keith
Actually, mine is even more simple. You bolt the power supplies to the board, wire them in parallel to the AC source and wire their outputs in series. Since you're pack will be out of the car, a simple box fan directed through the pack will provide more than enough cooling.

The discharger is even more straight forward.

The extension cords are to make "harnesses" for charging and discharging. Female end from the pack, male end on charger & discharger. Of course, you'll want to double and triple check the polarity, but once you're sure, the 3 prongs will ensure you never hook it up wrong.
Hey Keith, I finally got around to this, have the power supplies in hand, I wire all 3 up in parallel or just the two LED supplies? I know you had a picture posted before, but I can't find that anymore

*edit* nevermind, found it, didn't help much lol, when you have time could you snap a few pictures so I can get an idea of what's going on with the wiring? The version of the BoL I bought from only had two of the variable power supplies (ones with the heat shield around them) and two LED supplies (white cube) but you have 4 and 1...?

Last edited by Valalvax; 10-16-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:12 PM

Assuming you have 1 12v supply (vented shielding) and 2 28-100V led supplies (plastic bricks).

The ac input to all three is in parallel. L and N should be common to all three. The black and red of the led output should be in series as below. 12v output not necessary.

On mobile away from home. Can't take pics.

(+)------Led1------(-)(+)--------Led2--------(-)

Originally Posted by Valalvax
Hey Keith, I finally got around to this, have the power supplies in hand, I wire all 3 up in parallel or just the two LED supplies? I know you had a picture posted before, but I can't find that anymore

*edit* nevermind, found it, didn't help much lol, when you have time could you snap a few pictures so I can get an idea of what's going on with the wiring? The version of the BoL I bought from only had two of the variable power supplies (ones with the heat shield around them) and two LED supplies (white cube) but you have 4 and 1...?

Old 10-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ah, so you're not even using the 12v power supply?

Old 10-19-2015, 02:24 PM

Not on the HCH2, but I use it for Insight. It can be used for the HCH2, but you need a pot to ground the PWM wire. It makes the fan cycle on and off, and it's not very effective.

I find it VERY handy as a terminal block... The AC power cord gets screwed down there, and I can use them for the AC input to the other power supplies.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ahh kay, I figured you were using it for the fan, just gotta be sure to tape the wires off nice and safe

Old 11-03-2015, 09:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

I remain a semi-lurker on this thread, and really appreciate the wisdom of the group.

Here's my issue: I work a lot of hours, and when I have time off, I have a lot of interests. Removing my Honda's rear seat and messing with the battery is not my idea of a good use of my time.

Just saying...but this would be a great business idea for some entrepreneur. I leave my Honda at my mechanics' shop one evening when it needs an oil change, get it the next evening. It would be great if I could do something similar to get my battery recycled and charged?
Hmmm...and here in Portland, we have one of the dealers for battery packs. They'd be a great example of a place that might be able to do this.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:14 PM

For me it's a matter of $ vs time. I can completely swap out a pack in 15-20 minutes start to finish. The HCH2 is amazingly easy. The HCH1 is almost as easy.

I don't trust a dealer to change my oil. I have had only 1 positive experience with a dealer, and that was for including my Pontiac Montana on the fuel tank recall even though the VIN wasn't on the list when the fuel tank filler pipe cracked at the tank just like the recall VINs. I hate our local Honda dealer with a passion. They charge over retail price for parts and have outright lied to my face on two occasions, when I already knew the answer.

So I'm not about to put my faith in people like that.

There are hybrid specialty shops all over the country that offer hybrid specific services including grid charging.

What do you mean by "recycled"?

Old 11-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, S Keith, you are always a great resource.

First...my mistake on nomenclature: by "recycled" I meant discharged & grid-charged.

My local dealer does OK for service, but is overpriced. As part of an oil change, they charged me $75 for labor for a cabin air filter change.
So I use a local NAPA shop, and I really do trust them for the ordinary-car tasks. I'm googling some local hybrid garages in Portland and so far see no mention of grid-charging. But maybe I need to look further or call some of those garages.

OK...if I'm willing to spend the money, and don't want to DIM (do-it-myself), I buy a grid charger from http://hybridautomotive.com/, have my local http://bumblebeebatteries.com/ install it, and just plug in periodically...

Old 11-03-2015, 09:43 PM

I'm sure that would work. Both are very reputable orgs. I've had several personal interactions with Eli of BB, and I have only good things to say.

Quick Reply: How many here user a gird charger for their Honda Civic Hybrid Gen II?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands