HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How many more miles can I go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How many more miles can I go?

Originally Posted by 1stpik
Apparently, Honda edits the HCH manuals frequently.

My manual says that the orange 'fuel pump' indicator lights up when "there is about 0.9 US gal. of fuel remaining in the tank before the reading reaches E."
My orange light came on when there were two bars left.

Also I have a 2006.

So, maybe it is not that Honda edits the manual frequently, maybe each is kept the same for the entirety of the model year.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by kenny
My orange light came on when there were two bars left.

Also I have a 2006.

So, maybe it is not that Honda edits the manual frequently, maybe each is kept the same for the entirety of the model year.
For me, my light also comes on at some point when there are two bars left.

I just reread the part on the low fuel indicator in my manual and thought I would just copy the entirety of that section:
Low Fuel Indicator

This indicator is in the fuel gauge. It comes on as a reminder that you must refuel soon. When the indicator comes on, there is about 1.71 US gal (6.2 l) of fuel remaining in the tank before the reading reaches E. There is a small reserve of fuel remaining in the tank when the reading does reach E.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
When the indicator comes on, there is about 1.71 US gal (6.2 l) of fuel remaining in the tank before the reading reaches E. There is a small reserve of fuel remaining in the tank when the reading does reach E.
Interesting.
Today I proved that exactly 0.3699 gallons are between the light coming on and all fuel bars going out (which must be "the reading reaches E".)

0.3699 is very different from 1.71.
I'm more confused than ever.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:42 PM

Interesting.
Today I proved that exactly 0.3699 gallons are between the light coming on and all fuel bars going out (which must be "the reading reaches E".)

0.3699 is very different from 1.71.
I'm more confused than ever.
Me too.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=14231

For the tank that I talked about in that thread, I lost my last bar at 785 miles. I went 117 miles past that. My fuel economy over those last miles was about 78 mpg. That is exactly 1.5 gallons. I filled up without running out of gas (but I did have a gas can with some extra gas with me.)

Old 07-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

I also think you've got a good 100 miles left at the rate you're going... By FCD only, you've used 10.55gal of gas thus far, and we know the FCD lowballs reality by about 1mpg. With that in mind, 800 miles takes 11.25gal of gas at your current rate, leaving you with a gallon left over to find that station. Of course, you could always put a half gallon in the trunk and see how far you can really go Gratz on (presumably) being the first to 800!

Old 07-04-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
Gratz on (presumably) being the first to 800!
It won't be the first.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...57&postcount=8

Of course, that's not even the first 900 mile tank. I guess that probably goes to papaya with 3 including a 941 mile tank.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/3219.html

I'm trying really hard to hit 1,000 miles on my current tank. I'm not sure if that has been done before.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:03 AM

It won't be the first.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...57&postcount=8

Of course, that's not even the first 900 mile tank. I guess that probably goes to papaya with 3 including a 941 mile tank.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/3219.html

I'm trying really hard to hit 1,000 miles on my current tank. I'm not sure if that has been done before.

A topped off tank holds more gas than one that was filled only to the first click.

So you should make a point of saying you top off when ever you mention it, also that you FAS.
FAS and topping off are not recommend by Honda.

I could put a heater under the car, draft semis, remove unused seats, the AC unit and interior plastic too.
There are lots of non-standard stuff besides just driving skill.

Last edited by kenny; 07-04-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Kenny's right; the number of miles is completely arbitrary. Some of you stop at 1st click, others fill to overflow. It all comes down to basic math.

To get 1,000 miles, you'd have to get 82 mpg. So if you DO get 1,000, but your mpg reads less than 83, you didn't REALLY accomplish anything other than over-filling your gas tank.

The only number that matters is the mpg. It isn't affected by the amount of gas. So forget the number of miles and focus on the mpg readout.

Last edited by 1stpik; 07-04-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:16 AM

A topped off tank holds more gas than one that was filled only to the first click.

So you should make a point of saying you top off when ever you mention it, also that you FAS.
FAS and topping off are not recommend by Honda.
I have never tried to hide anything. It is in one of the links that you just quoted.

My commute (described here) and my techniques are what they are.

Do you think my numbers need an asterisk next to them? I promise I didn't knowingly use steroids. I thought is was flaxseed oil.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:22 AM

I have never tried to hide anything. It is in one of the links that you just quoted.

My commute (described here) and my techniques are what they are.

Do you think my numbers need an asterisk next to them? I promise I didn't knowingly use steroids. I thought is was flaxseed oil.

Quick Reply: How many more miles can I go?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands